General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Im not sure......?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Default Im not sure......?

Hello i have a 96 camaro v6 coupe and It dosent start. I dont know the reason, due to the fact i cant take it in to be tested. Any way every time i try to start it the security light comes on. I went to talk to the dealership and they said it was proply the igniotn cylender. now i had them check my key and his little key reader thing still read the key. Now im attempting to take offf the stearing wheel to get to the ignition area and try to figure out the problem myself. the point of this thread being. A) can anyone offer advise on this project. B) dose anyone have one of those car readers who lives in the milwaukee area and C) can one off a guess as to what the peoblem might be?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Droid

Usually when the security light is on it indicates that the VATS module cannot read the value of the pellet in your key. Try a spare key or spray electronic contact cleaner into the key hole in the lock and work the key into the lock. The dealer tested the pellet on your key, and being that he was able to read the value, there is probably nothing wrong the key. However, the key could have the wrong value pellet as there are 15 different values used (unlikely unless the key was duplicated using the wrong value blank). You can try replacing the ignition lock and at the same time check for damaged or shorted wires going between the lock and the VATS module, or do the VATS bypass procedure, guessing which of the 15 resistor values will work.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM
4th Gear Member

I just had to have a new key made for mine. The first dealer I took the key to told me that it read in his device and told me I was wasting my money on getting another key. I needed a key anyway so I went for a second opinion and at the second dealer, the guy told me the key was bad and made another one for me. It solved the problem. I test my old key with ohm meter and found that there was 0 ohms unless I pressed real hard on the chip and then I would get a reading. Not sure what the law is where you are but to get a new key made, the dealer had to see a picture ID and the registration for the car.