Keep the Camaro, sell the camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Keep the Camaro, sell the camaro

ok, so gas is a ***** and im always on E. ive got two raises at work that havent gone thru yet(my manager is slow as hell but i pester him daily) so should i garage the Z and take insurance off it, let my salary pool in my savings, mod the camaro with a few at home garage friendly bolt ons. and hitch rides to school/work until spring/summer? Sell it and buy a pos until i can buy a 69 Chevelle as a project (this summer after i graduate),OR shelf the camaro and buy a pos GeoMetro (just an example...) andsave the money im not spending ongas for the camaro or even sell the Z save a couple thousand.. and possibly buy a 98-02 WS6 T/A around summer time?

any better ideas?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 PM
April 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Keep the Camaro, sell the camaro

I voted that just because it sounds like your Z has some issues the previous owner messed with. These are pretty reliable cars, so I'd sell the Z, take the bus most of the time like I do, and save up for a newer f body.

Doing a 69 Chevelle project sure isn't going to be any cheaper

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that would be way down the road after nothing but working and saving. Id buy a running 69 Velle, and work as i go... not driving it until i drop the 454 in it .... It would take awhile... but it would be worth it.

I want to get a newer T/A and throw on some smokey and the bandit decals and make a BAN-TWO. I found one for 20K with an LS6. That would be my absolute dream car. If i could afford it RIGHT NOW id sell my Z for it in a heart beat.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/486215075.html

Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

i said park it and buy a junker but thats just cuz you can do the same thing i did....cuz it sounded like theres problems but the car is fast(witch usually go hand in hand i guess lol) but if i were you ide just park it and take the motor down and rebuilt it so that you kno for a fact what is goin into it and that its beeing done right...granit i did it with the 1980 idk how hard it is do take down the newer motors..but i imagin its al the same pricible....but yea my motor didnt really have anythign wrong with it it was just an untrustworthy sloppy mechanic for a p/o ....but if you take it down and its just little stuff the other guy skipped and you dont really need to buy all new parts just clean up what you have maby by summer you can have it up and running again and only spend a couple hundred bucks for maby the heads cleaned up...then your back were you thought you were when you bought the car but you did all the work persanally and kno whats going on.....sry that got kinda long but yea thats my opinion lol...well good luck

Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Sell it and get something more reliable. Hopefully you've learned your lesson on this one.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Ill just cut and paste my other post- since it really belongs here.

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

I was like wow.. sweet.. he took me for a ride in it (because the previousbidders couldnt handle it and almost put it in a ditch) and he did a LONG brake stand burn out leaving TONS of smoke and really pissed the guy behind us off, then he let go of the brake, and basically while he still had no traction took it to the right and brought it down the road sideways for like 10 yards. That and the fact that it was louder than hell sold me on it...
[/blockquote]

So you are basically telling us your car has been the whooping boy for this guy and now you; dont be surprised thatit is breaking left and right. Dude you bought someones P.O.S....he treated it like that right before your very eyes...you should have RUN away from that thing. Nottrying to be mean- you want to buy a car from someone whoisn'tconcerned with going fast- that way it hasn't been hammered on like yours. We all have been "blinded by the light" of a car that is loud and seems cool- we were all 17 once. These are very reliable cars if they have been properly cared for.Time to cut your losses- that thing is going to keep breaking until eventually you willhave more into it than what it would cost to buy anew one.I would sell that thing ASAP and find one that has been owned by someone with more than a double didget I.Q.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Member

lol... in so many words i see your point. I would like to get something newer.... thats been beat on less... and has the potential to move forward instead of starting in back trying to get everything straight. Right now ive spent (including the cost of the car) 7000 or close to that, just getting it to run properly. Ive gone back and fixed all the spots he got lazy with execept for the exhaust (which i plan on fixing before the summer, if i even own the car that long) In my opinion if i sold the car now, bought some 500-2000 dollar junker, i would have several thousand by this summer ( thats if i get an ultra low insurance quote, my raises go thru at workand i save and worklike a maniac). Im already working this christmas eve and day..... honestly.. that might just be what i do..

Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear member

I doubt you will be able to sell it for much though, especially in its current condition with the SES light and cooland problems, etc. So might as well buy something else to be your daily driver and make this one your first project car.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You can sometimes get '60's era Chevelles for relatively cheap if you're a little car savvy. I almost bought a '68 Chevelle with a 350 for under four grand (I'm really disappointed I didn't get it but I didn't have quite enough money at the time). It needed fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump and filter, a finished paint job and carpet, but it is possible. If it's gas mileage you're looking at getting, get a bike. If you live somewhere where it's usually warm you can ride it most of the year. You can get up to 60 MPG, depending on bike and engine size (i.e. a Ninja 250). Insurance can be cheap (my brothers is 90 bucks a year and he's 21 with a GSXR-750, noteably that's bare minimum insurance). Licensing is fairly easy, just take a motorcycle safety class ($75 where I live) or you could just get a permit and not ride out of state or at night or with passengers (those are the rules where I live at least). For bad weather you could get something fun but cheap (maybe an old Z or something). And it sounds like you've been having lots of problems with your car because the previous owner(s) beat on it. So to sum it up, get a bike and a cheap car and save up for the Chevelle (that's my advice, take it or leave it).

Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM
4th Gear Member

No, thats good advice and i appriciate it, but i live in washington state and it rains a ***** load here.. i wouldnt feel safe on a bike... plus i live in a wooded area with alot of rocky roads. What i want to do the more i think about it, is just sell the Z. I dunno what an SES light is, but i dont have any check engine lights or anything, just the red symbol, and it doesnt come on as often. only when im low on fuel and ive been running 87 octane over 89 (dunno if thats a coincidence.. cant spell... or if its legit.) Ive got a dying alternator, a radiator full of what looks like mocha coffee (engine doesnt over heat) it takes a bit to warm up, this mystery red light comes out every now and then, ive got a valve tick, possibly rod knock, a hole in my induction boot, possibly a leak in my exhaustmanifold and definatly one in my exhaust piping. Ive already thrown 7000 (bought it for 4500 plus 3000 for repairs and upkeep).. If i sold it i wouldnt be looking to gain all 7k back.. maybe just 5 at the most.. because i have gotten it into ALOT better shape than it was in (full tune up, oil change, fuel system cleaner, seafoamed the crankcase etc.) BUT i saw a black ws6 and i fell in love with it... not to mention their newer, less likely to be beaten on, have a faster more pliable engine... idk.. my future is a mystery right now, just need some feedback on whats goin thru my head.

Quick Reply: Keep the Camaro, sell the camaro