Its been awhile...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Its been awhile...

Hey everyone Im finally able to get back on here because i actually have the time to now... While I was gone, back in June I purchased a '99 Z28. Its white with T-tops and almost in flawless condition. It now has about 109k on it (although when I bought it, it had about 102k...). I love the car and I have no complaints at all - not even the gas mileage is bad (I average about 21mpg driving mostly city). I went with an automatic after researching and reading on here that they are a pretty reliable transmission and they are definately faster in the 1/4 mile and I dont feel like replacing the clutch all the time because I have virtually no room in my garage and where I live we're not allowed to work on cars in the street for some stupid reason. Anyways, Ive been babying it ever since I bought it, washing it every week (except right now being how cold it is), and I dont drive it too hard... Now Ive been wanting to replace the plugs and wires and maybe put an SLP lid on it but my concern is time and difficulty. I replaced the plugs and wires on my dads 94 3.4L and that was a pain just for a V6 but by looking under the hood of my car, I can tell its gonna be a pain in the ***. That being said, I wanted to see if anyone here thats done this before and lives anywhere near Harrisburg PA (Im in Mechanicsburg) could maybe help me with this because I can see this being an all day job without me having done it before. Oh and here are some pics - I think I uploaded them right...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5646/EB3C10B569DC46259F3760A389B0AFC9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5646/700338F14C3D42DE8DC27F89E4A223D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5646/FCCBCAAD39454A64B97270D759DA1C51.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5646/E897F0D8A23C43039AC59D92A4F51A76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Its been awhile...

very nice and clean looking car.I dont live near there to help you but im going to tell you what its like.It will be almost a days work doing it the first time, but it gets easier every time you do it(like most things in life).It is a pain to do and can get frustrating, just take your time.If you have the money i would reccommend taking it to a shop.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea taking it to a shop would be the easiest , or if you wanna learn for future repairs go to your local autoparts and grab a manual for the car and it will step by step you thru the plug process ...It defintly is a pain in the *** but like he said it will get easier with time , But you did say you not allowed to whrench in your neighbor hood so just take her to a shop ... probably be much eaier for ya shouldnt cost ya too much ... snag some msd wires while your at it

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah it would probably be easier at a shop but I dont have too much money considering I have college to pay for. I think I'll probably end up taking it to my girlfriends house (thats where I took the pics and if you can tell her driveway is pretty big). Her step-dad has a much better jack and jackstands there. As for the manual, I got that awhile ago when I had to do stuff to my dads V6 so that should help some. Just another question though - I bought a K&N filter for it and I was wondering that if I got the SLP lid, would the filter still fit that? Ive heard that the lid is taller and I think I heard its longer too so I wasnt sure if it would fit... Thanks for the help guys

Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

im not sure on the slp lid fitting the k&N i have a cold air intake... but im sure someone on here would know .... yea just grab your manual and a nice day with the some tools and get to work .. your gonna defnitly save some duckets doing it yourself and plus you gonna know whats in store for next time as well ... good luck and happy wrenchin mane