Introduction & 99 Z28 stored for 10 years - Restoration Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 AM
Default Introduction & 99 Z28 stored for 10 years - Restoration Advice

Hey Everyone,

first off I'll go ahead and introduce myself because I am new here, and also say sorry in advance for the long post.

My name is Mike and I'm originally from Texas, but I also lived for a long time in California (I consider San Diego as home). I currently live near Frankfurt, Germany. I had a 3rd gen Z28 from age 18-20, and grew up in a Camaro/Firebird family. I built a few with my step dad growing up with motors ranging from the typical 350 to the Pontiac 400 big block.

My mom gave me her 99 Z28 for finishing college back in 2012. It only has 52K miles on it. Awesome right? But the car has been stored for about 10 years in a barn in Missouri. I wasn't around to prep it for storage (I didn't live in the same state) and thought my mother would have taken all the necessary measures, but she didn't. I told her she needs to treat the gas among a bunch of other things and of course she didn't listen.

Now of course, the car doesn't start. The most obvious reason to me would be the varnish from the old gas killing the whole fuel system. I need to get the car running before shipping it here to Germany this coming spring. I'm going to where the car is stored (now in Texas) for a week in January and I want to fix everything before I come back. So, I'm compiling a parts list for all the likely things that I think should be replaced. This is where I'd like your advice.

Im thinking:

I'm a pretty good mechanic but could always use a pointer or two, if any of you have any.

Thanks very much in advance for your input.

-Mike

Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
    April 2011 ROTM
    ROTM Winner's Club

spark plugs, air filter, change all fluids, check air intake for mice,,, lol.
    going to need to drain the tank as much as you can. fuel pump may be ok, not that old, lol. but if your gona take the tank out may as well. also clean tank. hatch method would safe alot of time and cussing. look for any indication mice or rats have been around. they can chew up wiring and other plastic and fabric. check for spark. have injectors cleaned and flow tested. this way you know exactly how much fuel your moving and that your injectors will be flow matched to a much closer degree than new. probly gona need a new battery. clean any connections that have sign of corrosion like on the alternator or battery.

Last edited by craby; 09-17-2017 at 11:17 PM.