If you cant chip a 4th gen.. wtf is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: If you cant chip a 4th gen.. wtf is this?

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/502462901.html

He claims its some sort of chip that adds 25hp... found it on craigslist...
This isn't a chip, it's an in-line module. It's being called a chip cuz the seller doesn't know wtf he's talking about!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

spector, the delvelope ment of those jet chips took a long time becuase of the the PCM on the camaros. Other companies have been promising chips for a long time but are still "exsperimenting." Those jet chips plug directly into your PCM and do work as chips. Its just like what they do at a dyno tune, except everything is already in the "chip"

Old 12-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

have you seen a pcm? where are you going to plug it into? like i said, i went to jet's website and they dont sell them for these cars. have you used these yourself or actually seen a car with one? the ones you linked are for ls based engines, however JET states on their website all gm 96+ must use their pcm module. These pcm's do not have a place for a chip like the old pcm's do. This is also why when you goober a pcm its such a hassle to repair it. I believe the only ones that could use chips in the more recentyears (93+) were some trucks. I would be more willing to think that summit has their intel wrong than that jet has something nobody else has and is keeping it under wraps.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...48456_-1_10373

jegs doesnt have them either. Im not tryin to start a fight, but you seem awefully sure about how things are going down. where are you getting this information?

If you go to the JET site (which unfortunatly is java run (i think) so i cant link it) and do a search just by vehicle, they do in fact sell chips for 93, but they dont even list chips for the 94.

Im only saying this because i have been screwed by summit before on this stuff (however, they have an awesome return policy so they will continue to get my business..... assuming they ever underprice tsp or ls1-speed... doubtful). their applications arent always accurate.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Good thing it doesnt matter kuz chips for any car suck.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

jeez, i must come across as hostile all the time... [&:] I just wanna know where he got his info, because I cant find anything to support it

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Droid

OK guys, let's have some fun and get really **** about this whole thing.
It all depends on how you define a chip. A real chip, in computer parlance, is a complete integrated microcircuit, consisting of numerous individual electronic components burnedon a single piece of silicone.
Up to 1993 the ECM on Camaros used a removable MEMCAL module which contained all the engine management instructions on an EPROM. Most people referred to this module as a MEMCAL chip, but in reality it was an ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) made up of several chips includingthe EPROM. The MEMCAL could be reprogrammed or a new one substituted with different instructions.
After 1993 the PCM replaced the ECM, and the PCM had no removable modules except for the KS module. The PCM can be reprogrammed through the diagnostic port, using a handheld tuner, (such as Hypertech), aPC with proper software, or by plugging in a tuner (dongle)permanently into the diagnostic port.
Some companies, like Jet, are selling a module that is inserted between the PCM wiring harness and the PCM. Jet calls this a chip, but in reality it is a microcomputer that feeds false information to the PCM in order to make it perform differently. Then there are some real smart asses on E-Bay selling $0.05 resistors for up to $50 and calling them chips. Theyare to be connected to various sensors, resulting in eitherno change or poor performance.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

yep, basicly the jet chips do change your alot of differnt setting on your engine though. I have seen them on 3.8s, never on an LS1. I'm not getting one becuase I would rather just have a custom dyno tune.

Anyway, now that your wrong, plz remove that from your sig

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Ninja Administrator

The jet chips do not. as stated by pete the chips do not work with these pcm's. you need to use the inline module. the chips you posted are a false product. Aside from that every time ive made the statement it has been contextually correct. thats a bold statement you made when the source you quote is, in all senses of the word, "wrong". The jet chips do not exist past 93 for camaros (i actually didnt see them list a 93) and summit has them listed for every year in every model, 3.8, lt, ls, and so on. it would appear according to pete that the jet parts which jet themselves actually sell are not chips, and as stated above the jet chips which are chips are not for 4th gens, but mislabeled, probably by the auto-reference software at summit.

how about you add it to your sig? [8D]

but hell, i guess I was wrong because of the 93's. Ill change it for u guys

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Ninja Administrator

ok, i thought of a good compromise/analogy here.

you guys can call them chips if you want, you can call me wrong if you want (along with the others who have said so but are probably not bored enough to persue the conversation).

so then you can just go ahead and have a conversation about the bad *** maro with naaawwwzzzs and a stage3 chip, or u can come over here and talk about the performance advantages of module vs flash tuning and nitrous.

Quick Reply: If you cant chip a 4th gen.. wtf is this?