If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?

if u really wanna to prove anyone wrong on ur thoughts about 100 oct and 87 and that it gives u more power get 2 dyno runs 1 with 100oct and 1 with 87 if the 100oct shows a hp gain then ur right but if not no big deal. or it could b that ur mind is set that u r going to get more hp so u just feel that u have more power. Hell i've been there myself i had alot of mods done and before i went to the dyno i would have swore that i was pushing close to 350 hp because thats what i thought i should b running but in fact i was only at 293hp my mind was set on what i thought so until i saw it on paper i was convinced thats what i was pushing. nut the one thing i do know is that 100oct in a 6 bangger that is not set up with higher compression will blow the motor, i have an lt1 moded out to handle 375hp and the only time i run 100oct in it and its a mix of 100 and 91oct is when i run the bottle, most of the guys on here know there **** pretty well and there is no reason to lie to u, we r not in ur shoes and maybe by some off chance ur car is faster with the 100oct but if u run it straight and or u run it all the time i will promise u. u will blow ur motor if u don't beleave us keep running it and when ur eng goes to **** don't say u weren't warned.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: giants4life07

To The Banks &JD1969

Look you ****in peace of ****s don't ever ****in say I'm doing False statements you ****s.
I put the 100 ****in octane in my ****in car. (PLEASE) (PLEASE) ****ing tell me why my ****ing CAMARO ****in flew like a ****in rocket then? I need your ****ing help!!!!! Tell me ****in why she took off like a ****in rocket? Can you ****in tell me why? Can you ****s? Oh my dear god why will my CAMARO take off like that? ohhh maybe because of the ****IN OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS use your ****ing think head of yours you ****in ****s!
There you go again. Copy, paste, copy, paste. HEY check it out I can do that too, and I will.

Ctrl+V: Wow man. You couldn't choose any better wording besides continuously saying "****." Now that right there is a display of blind retarded rage because you ill articulated your words.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Old 11-10-2007, 01:55 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

I'm not sure who he was calling kido. If it was me well then I'm probably about his age,I'll be 17 in December. Have you guys noticed that he hasn't posted in here for a while. Probably because I told him he blatantly copied and pasted an aticle on 76 racing fuel, and then further left out details and manipulated it to support his idea. That along with JD's threat to ban him, and the barrage of info from eveyone.
i jus turned 17 too[8D]

Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8485Chevycowboy

if u really wanna to prove anyone wrong on ur thoughts about 100 oct and 87 and that it gives u more power get 2 dyno runs 1 with 100oct and 1 with 87 if the 100oct shows a hp gain then ur right but if not no big deal. or it could b that ur mind is set that u r going to get more hp so u just feel that u have more power. Hell i've been there myself i had alot of mods done and before i went to the dyno i would have swore that i was pushing close to 350 hp because thats what i thought i should b running but in fact i was only at 293hp my mind was set on what i thought so until i saw it on paper i was convinced thats what i was pushing. nut the one thing i do know is that 100oct in a 6 bangger that is not set up with higher compression will blow the motor, i have an lt1 moded out to handle 375hp and the only time i run 100oct in it and its a mix of 100 and 91oct is when i run the bottle, most of the guys on here know there **** pretty well and there is no reason to lie to u, we r not in ur shoes and maybe by some off chance ur car is faster with the 100oct but if u run it straight and or u run it all the time i will promise u. u will blow ur motor if u don't beleave us keep running it and when ur eng goes to **** don't say u weren't warned.
Just to clear things up, 100 octane will not blow your motor, it will not harm it in any way, just you won't make more power with it, unless the engine has high compression.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

AHAHAHAHAHAHA...

The stig has nothing to say about this guy.

But I do give him credit, he gave me a good laugh.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

so... is he banned?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I can say i have never run straght 100oct in anything ever, so in fact i have never blown an eng running it, I have heard some sec hand storys of it doing so.. but i would think running that high of an oct in a smaller motor and being they were not built to run that would cause some damage as misfiring and such, I am not saying u r wrong but just the fact that an eng is built to run in away that everything fires in order, theres a timming issuse to a motor is there not as to anyone who has messed with a dis,cap or rotoer if u do it wrong and it is not timed right then of course the motor will run like **** if it runs at all. would not the same thing be said about the fuel if it is not igniting when it should and not firing right all the time could this not lead to to much fuel and and exploison that the motor can not handle. I have read the links u guys have put up about the fuel.now i am more courises about it then anything. have anyone ever run straight 100oct in a motor that is stock besides this kid thats claims it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just as my exp when u do something to an eng that it is not built for bad things always seem to find there way down the road and bit u in the ***.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Lots of people have run 100 and even 110 or higher in stock engines, although anything higher than 105 usually contains lead, which can ruin a cat and O2 sensors. Remember that octane is nothing more than a way to measure a fuels abilty to resist detonation. There is nothing about "octane" that has an effect on how much potential energy the fuel has. Octane in and of itself will not harm an engine, it won't make power either, (unless an engine needs the higher octane rating).

Old 11-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Ninja Administrator

i cant claim to know the chemical make-up of gas today, but octanes, and all alkanes, are actually very inert materials. I saw a post that actual octanes are not used anymore, but then "back in the day" such inert comounds would have resisted detonation in solution. yeilding a mixture with actually less energy.

Quick Reply: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?