If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?

The higher the octane the more efficient the detontation. Since the lower octane fuels have a higher tendency to detonate as a result of compression instead of ignition, the higher the octane the more precise the combustion.
I doubt that in a normal compression ratio motor that it will make all that much of a difference, however in higher compression engines it will as the lower octane fuels will combust primarily under compression, the higher the octane themore preciseit will run.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: giants4life07

higher octane fuel can improve power because of its special fuel chemistry that promotes improved combustion efficiency. Improved combustion efficiency means that more of the gasoline is being burned in the combustion chamber thus making more horsepower; less is being burned/expelled in the exhaust. It's a fact I mean yeah I used 100 octane in my camaro the ***** flew like a ****in rocket!
Face it dude, you're clearly wrong

Do some research homie so you don't look kind of foolish in public.

Or maybe you're kidding with this statement?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

no your wrong kido....read and brain storm
76 Competition 100Octane Gasoline burns cleanly , leaving little or no deposits, Allowing maximum engine power. The high quality stocks used in this gasoline make it very stable and resistant to gum formation. A multifuctional additive package provides carburetor and fuel injection detergency and minimizes the formation of intake valve deposits. Antioxidants and corrosion inhibitors promote stability and longer shelf life. This gasoline does not contain any lead additives or alcohols. There for you car will can more Horse power.
i dont know much bout fuel... but i beleave your rite about the burning cleaner and what not. but you're wasting most of that octane, it's just gonna dirty the cat. it will prolly burn cleaner, but no HP increase, doubt milage increase, and wasting money.
He's not even right about that. Higher octane gas will not always burn cleaner. I'll say it again, octane is nothing more than a way to measure a fuels ability to resist detonation. In theroy, higher octane in a lower compression engine might make less power, because the fuel actually burns slower. The hows and whys of all this is some pretty advanced chemistry, which I am sure most would find near impossible to read, but there is good info out there on the subject.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Ninja Administrator

Im about to graduate with a BS in chemistry and giant is making my brain hurt [&o]. JD is absolutely right. higher octane fuels burn SLOWER, not more efficiently. efficiency is an artifact of the motor, not the fuel. it has everything to do with air/fuel ratio. you need air to burn fuel, and fuel has an optimum ratio at which you will burn the most efficiently. the further off of this optimum ratio you are, the less efficient the motor. In this sense, inefficiency begets inefficiency. you see exponential loss as you move away from this ratio (now, the loss isnt huge, but its not a linear relationship). adding high octane will have an effect onthis, but a stock street car does not posess the stresses necessary to make this noticable at all. we are talking about changes (not even necessarily positive) that would be rounded off in a theoretical calculation. this has only to do with the RATE of burn. you use high octane fuel because its threshold is greater. so if you have intense pressures and heat in your system, the fuel still needs the stimulus of the spark to ignite. many high octane fuels are dirty as hell. many of them are leaded fuels. again, kido, this has nothing to do with efficiency.in fact, higher octane fuels have a less efficient reaction, it takes more energy to combust high octane fuel than low octane. however, this does not transfer to parasitic loss to the car because your spark should have always been above this threshold to begin with, ie, it does not cost your car more energy between one fuel or the other

the point: regardless of octane, you will always burn the same amount of fuel in the chamber at a given A/F, with other conditions held constant (temp, spark energy, ect....).

Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Ninja Administrator

76 Competition 100Octane Gasoline burns cleanly , leaving little or no deposits, Allowing maximum engine power. The high quality stocks used in this gasoline make it very stable and resistant to gum formation. A multifuctional additive package provides carburetor and fuel injection detergency and minimizes the formation of intake valve deposits. Antioxidants and corrosion inhibitors promote stability and longer shelf life. This gasoline does not contain any lead additives or alcohols. There for you car will can more Horse power.
just had another thought, u quote the "cleanliness" of the gas as its source of power. this will have only marginal effects at best, because low grade gasoline is pretty damn efficient as it is. But what gets me is, u call Banks "kido", and u are the one posting shiz about your dad. how old are you? 16, 17? first car and think its a
****in rocket
because u have only mini-vans and an old rusty aspire to compare to?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quoting P.T. Barnum ... a sucker is born everyday. just because you read something or hear something doesn't mean it is true. experience is the only reliable teacher. unless your compression ratio has changed due to upgrades or by pushing the imaginary magic button, you best bet is to run the fuel your engine was designed to run. octane deals with how much compression the fuel can take before spontaneously combusting. spontaneous combustion or in laymans terms engine knock. will cause early death to an otherwise healthy engine. Sick

Old 11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: SickSickSick

Quoting P.T. Barnum ... a sucker is born everyday. just because you read something or hear something doesn't mean it is true. experience is the only reliable teacher. Sick
agreeing 100%

Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

just had another thought, u quote the "cleanliness" of the gas as its source of power. this will have only marginal effects at best, because low grade gasoline is pretty damn efficient as it is. But what gets me is, u call Banks "kido", and u are the one posting shiz about your dad. how old are you? 16, 17? first car and think its a
****in rocket
because u have only mini-vans and an old rusty aspire to compare to?
actually, i think he was calling me kido, but im not quite sure.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure who he was calling kido. If it was me well then I'm probably about his age,I'll be 17 in December. Have you guys noticed that he hasn't posted in here for a while. Probably because I told him he blatantly copied and pasted an aticle on 76 racing fuel, and then further left out details and manipulated it to support his idea. That along with JD's threat to ban him, and the barrage of info from eveyone.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

To The Banks &JD1969

Look you ****in peace of ****s don't ever ****in say I'm doing False statements you ****s.
I put the 100 ****in octane in my ****in car. (PLEASE) (PLEASE) ****ing tell me why my ****ing CAMARO ****in flew like a ****in rocket then? I need your ****ing help!!!!! Tell me ****in why she took off like a ****in rocket? Can you ****in tell me why? Can you ****s? Oh my dear god why will my CAMARO take off like that? ohhh maybe because of the ****IN OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS use your ****ing think head of yours you ****in ****s!

Quick Reply: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?