i need some help with some weird issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Default i need some help with some weird issues

hello everyone

im working on a 1994 3.4 v6 base camaro for another member on here, i dont recall her user name but she recommended this site to me as a wealth of good knowledge.

so hears what Ive done before i state the issues, the car came to me needing a motor, it had been sitting for 12-14 years before that and i feel like it had been flooded up to the center of the crank shaft in water long enough to leave a rust line on the clutch and flywheel. not good i know lol so i put the replacement motor in that she provided, complete new clutch, master and slave cylinder, new cat converter, belt, thermostat, new temp sensors, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, cleaned and pumped the tank witch i got about 2 gallons of very bad gas and a tar like substance off the bottom. i also cleaned the fuel lines out and replaced all rubber lines in the evap system. new bat and fluids and she fired right up.

so heres where im at, the motors been in and running for about 2 moths now. for the first month it would start right up and run awesome every time, i even drove it around the block for a about 10 miles over that moth, cant go farther then that with tags that have been out for 13 years lol but recently the car has been hard to start, having to use lots of peddle to get it going, cranking very very slowly, then running very rough when it dose start and takes a while to get to the point where it will idle on its own. no cel light, bat has good voltage before during and after cranking. and to make it better it only did that every few days then every other day it would start and run fine. that was up until last week now it dose that every time a try to start it. cables are good starters good, voltage is good, chip in key is good (vats? system) and functioning properly. every time i try to start it now it cranks very slow and when it dose start after a few min of cranking it runs horrible, wont idle for a min or two and has a lack of power. even when its warmed up its running rough and has a slight tick or miss(this is new). i know it needs a tune up but i dont think its that simple of a issue. oil pressures good and never overheated it. any input on this problem would be a huge help

also i cant get the cooling fan to come on. Ive done all the usual testing and nothing has worked. i have done the trick on the obd2 port and it still dose not come on in (test?) mode i believe it was called. I even went as far as to replace both temp sensors. the only way i can get the fan to come on is by jumping hot to it via the bat and some wire just to test drive it around.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear member

could be ignition or fuel related. pull the plugs and wires and do some fuel pressure testing to see if that leads you anywhere. Slow cranking can be something mechanical or a starter on its way out. A starter amperage draw test will tell you more.

As for the cooling fan does it come on when you turn the ac on? It should. If not start by finding a wiring diagram for the fan and we can walk you through tracing it.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

also, if you can, have the computer scanned for trouble codes and test fuel pressure.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like you're the one working on Dana's car. I agree with what was already suggested, check the fuel pressure first.