I have a weird sound coming from my car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default did mine today

changed my trans mount today. it took bout half hour, real easy. Unfortunately i still have a vibration in my car. Harmonic balancer, or rod bearings next. just keep throwing money at it. it's worth it.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear member

My side mirrors also shake a little bit when the car Is In drive as If I am playing bass but It Isnt that bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I looked on google for the symptoms of a bad transmission mount and It said that basically the car may vibrate kinda like mine Is doing and also the mirrors are slightly vibrating and also It said that I will hear a clunking noise when accelerating which I do here when I accelerate like I said and I dont know what the guy was saying about how to check If they are bad I might Just chance this and buy the part for twenty bucks and hope I can get my dad or friends dad to help Install.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I was trying to keep it simple. Basically, the trans mount holds it down to the crossmember. If you can jack the trans up without any resistance from the mount, and you see 2 pieces instead of one when you do that, the mount is ripped apart.
When I had one let loose, the trans was whacking the tunnel pretty well. I actually had "clean" gouge marks on the tunnel above where the tail portion of the trans was hitting it.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

was the old one broke? sure sounds like the rearend is goin to me. all the noise is coming from the back?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
was the old one broke? sure sounds like the rearend is goin to me. all the noise is coming from the back?
I think you are thinking that I replaced this and the problem still exists but that was a different person who posted on the thread but basically I havent looked to see yet but Im guessing Its the transmission mount because of the vibrating and the thump sound like when I give It gas but not enough to burn out I hear a quick thump coming from the rear right tire but hopefully the rear end Isnt going out on the car then.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sometimes, under-car sounds can reverberate and "travel", to where you "hear" it in a different spot from where the noise is actually coming from.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

The vibration could also be caused by loose engine mounts. Jack your car up and check all mounts. Also look at your rear shocks. If they area orange delcarbons then replace them as they would cause wheel hop which is what you most likely hearing. Another way to see if your trans mount is shot is look at your shifter. If it jumps up when you give it gas it's torn. You'll also feel the thud of it hitting transfer through your seat to your a$$.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Idk I wouldnt say I really feel anything Its more Of hearing It but like I said I have no Idea what you guys are talking about when you say all of this engine stuff so I either have to some how get my friends dad to look or my dad which I doubt will happen because he Is busy or pay a mechanic which Is what I will probably have to do which Is unfortionate because I wouldnt mind learning all this myself but when I dont know Jack **** Its pretty hard then.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
2nd Gear member

I am wondering If maybe there Is a website that will show step by step with text and pictures on how to check If these are bad and then replace them because that would be helpful I could buy a car fixing manual but they are In black also white I think so thats kinda lame then.

Quick Reply: I have a weird sound coming from my car.