Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   I have a weird sound coming from my car. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/i-have-weird-sound-coming-my-car-64823/)

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 04:21 PM

I have a weird sound coming from my car.

I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L car and whenever I am In drive but stopped In the driveway or road or anything and I give the car a decent amount of gas like not like Im slowly Increasing the speed but Im not burning out when I hit the gas Its kinda In between like I Just give the gas a good push I can hear this sound coming from what sounds to be the rear right tire which I know Is also the tire that drives the car because I think Its a one wheel drive car. But anyway lets say Im stopped In my driveway and I give the gas a good push to get going quick but not enough to burn out all of a sudden I hear this pounding like noise coming from I think to believe that tire and It almost sounds Identical to like lets say someone Is kinda like punching the car lightly. Its really weird. It almost sounds like when I give It gas It sounds like a lug nut Is missing and causing a wierd sound to happen but I doubt thats the case. This sound doesnt happen when I slowly Increase speed but only when I giver a good push on the pedal all of a sudden I hear a thump sound coming from the rear right tire. I thought maybe Its Just going Into gear but then I thought about how It wouldnt sound that loud or like that. Short version: If you are wondering exactly what Im saying I am saying this, When the car Is stopped and I give It a good push on the gas I hear a thumping noise that only happens one time as If someone punched my car lightly but then It goes away It Is coming from the rear right tire I think and when the car Is stopped and I give It a good push on the gas but not enough to burn out all of a a sudden I hear this thump type of sound coming from that tire. If you have this same car or a car like It then go outside and stop and give It a good amount of gas and tell me If you hear a thump sound come one time from the back tire. Thanks for help then.

Camaro 69 09-15-2011 04:32 PM

Put your hand on the trans tunnel (hump in the center) and see if you can feel it there. What you're describing is possibly a torn/separated transmission mount, which will let the tail of the trans lift and whack the tunnel while under torque. It's a common thing.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 571132)
Put your hand on the trans tunnel (hump in the center) and see if you can feel it there. What you're describing is possibly a torn/separated transmission mount, which will let the tail of the trans lift and whack the tunnel while under torque. It's a common thing.

Weird how much would It cost for a mechanic to fix this kind of thing.

Socom 09-15-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6 (Post 571136)
Weird how much would It cost for a mechanic to fix this kind of thing.

Just do it yourself. It is 6 bolts to take the crossmember off and then 1 bolt to take the mount off.

greenmachine96 09-15-2011 08:15 PM

yeah its not hard to do at all, just do it yourself.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 09:37 PM

Anyone know how much this part would cost and are you sure Its not hard to do this because I have zero experience at all with fixing cars I havent done a single thing on them before but I have a friends dad who could probably help If he knew what to do.

greenmachine96 09-15-2011 09:49 PM

Go to an auto parts store and buy a service manual and see for yourself. If you think your up to it get the trans mount too. It isnt bad at all really, but i would definately have your friends dad oversee the operation, especially with absolutely no experience.

iLL95 09-15-2011 09:49 PM

Learn then:icon_banana: DIY is pretty fun, and it's a learning experience

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 09:52 PM

I will give It a attempt but I dont wanna go buying parts If you guys arnt sure thats the problem does anyone know what could be the problem and If you didnt understand what I was saying basically when the car Is on the brake and I let go and give It a good amount of gas but not enough to burn out I hear a quick thump sound like someone might of slapped there hand on my car a little bit like I give It gas and hear a thump sound kinda feels like the tire wanted to spin but didnt spin Idk Its hard to explain.

Camaro 69 09-15-2011 11:04 PM

To check the trans mount, jack the car up either in the front or back, and put it safely on jack stands. Roll a floor jack under the car, below the transmission pan, and put a 2x6 board about 18" long on top of the jack so it spans across the pan. Slowly jack the trans up and look at the mount, it's towards the tail of the trans. If the mount is torn, it will start to separate into two pieces as you jack the trans up. Go slowly, you don't want to ruin the mount if it isn't already torn. The mount is attached to the crossmember with one bolt, (or nut), and to the trans with two bolts. Jacking the trans high enough to clear the mount is how you get it off and on, removing the crossmember is not necesary.