Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   I have a weird sound coming from my car. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/i-have-weird-sound-coming-my-car-64823/)

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 04:21 PM

I have a weird sound coming from my car.

I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L car and whenever I am In drive but stopped In the driveway or road or anything and I give the car a decent amount of gas like not like Im slowly Increasing the speed but Im not burning out when I hit the gas Its kinda In between like I Just give the gas a good push I can hear this sound coming from what sounds to be the rear right tire which I know Is also the tire that drives the car because I think Its a one wheel drive car. But anyway lets say Im stopped In my driveway and I give the gas a good push to get going quick but not enough to burn out all of a sudden I hear this pounding like noise coming from I think to believe that tire and It almost sounds Identical to like lets say someone Is kinda like punching the car lightly. Its really weird. It almost sounds like when I give It gas It sounds like a lug nut Is missing and causing a wierd sound to happen but I doubt thats the case. This sound doesnt happen when I slowly Increase speed but only when I giver a good push on the pedal all of a sudden I hear a thump sound coming from the rear right tire. I thought maybe Its Just going Into gear but then I thought about how It wouldnt sound that loud or like that. Short version: If you are wondering exactly what Im saying I am saying this, When the car Is stopped and I give It a good push on the gas I hear a thumping noise that only happens one time as If someone punched my car lightly but then It goes away It Is coming from the rear right tire I think and when the car Is stopped and I give It a good push on the gas but not enough to burn out all of a a sudden I hear this thump type of sound coming from that tire. If you have this same car or a car like It then go outside and stop and give It a good amount of gas and tell me If you hear a thump sound come one time from the back tire. Thanks for help then.

Camaro 69 09-15-2011 04:32 PM

Put your hand on the trans tunnel (hump in the center) and see if you can feel it there. What you're describing is possibly a torn/separated transmission mount, which will let the tail of the trans lift and whack the tunnel while under torque. It's a common thing.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69 (Post 571132)
Put your hand on the trans tunnel (hump in the center) and see if you can feel it there. What you're describing is possibly a torn/separated transmission mount, which will let the tail of the trans lift and whack the tunnel while under torque. It's a common thing.

Weird how much would It cost for a mechanic to fix this kind of thing.

Socom 09-15-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6 (Post 571136)
Weird how much would It cost for a mechanic to fix this kind of thing.

Just do it yourself. It is 6 bolts to take the crossmember off and then 1 bolt to take the mount off.

greenmachine96 09-15-2011 08:15 PM

yeah its not hard to do at all, just do it yourself.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 09:37 PM

Anyone know how much this part would cost and are you sure Its not hard to do this because I have zero experience at all with fixing cars I havent done a single thing on them before but I have a friends dad who could probably help If he knew what to do.

greenmachine96 09-15-2011 09:49 PM

Go to an auto parts store and buy a service manual and see for yourself. If you think your up to it get the trans mount too. It isnt bad at all really, but i would definately have your friends dad oversee the operation, especially with absolutely no experience.

iLL95 09-15-2011 09:49 PM

Learn then:icon_banana: DIY is pretty fun, and it's a learning experience

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-15-2011 09:52 PM

I will give It a attempt but I dont wanna go buying parts If you guys arnt sure thats the problem does anyone know what could be the problem and If you didnt understand what I was saying basically when the car Is on the brake and I let go and give It a good amount of gas but not enough to burn out I hear a quick thump sound like someone might of slapped there hand on my car a little bit like I give It gas and hear a thump sound kinda feels like the tire wanted to spin but didnt spin Idk Its hard to explain.

Camaro 69 09-15-2011 11:04 PM

To check the trans mount, jack the car up either in the front or back, and put it safely on jack stands. Roll a floor jack under the car, below the transmission pan, and put a 2x6 board about 18" long on top of the jack so it spans across the pan. Slowly jack the trans up and look at the mount, it's towards the tail of the trans. If the mount is torn, it will start to separate into two pieces as you jack the trans up. Go slowly, you don't want to ruin the mount if it isn't already torn. The mount is attached to the crossmember with one bolt, (or nut), and to the trans with two bolts. Jacking the trans high enough to clear the mount is how you get it off and on, removing the crossmember is not necesary.

mre924 09-15-2011 11:40 PM

did mine today

changed my trans mount today. it took bout half hour, real easy. Unfortunately i still have a vibration in my car. Harmonic balancer, or rod bearings next. just keep throwing money at it. it's worth it.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-16-2011 03:23 PM

My side mirrors also shake a little bit when the car Is In drive as If I am playing bass but It Isnt that bad.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-16-2011 04:44 PM

I looked on google for the symptoms of a bad transmission mount and It said that basically the car may vibrate kinda like mine Is doing and also the mirrors are slightly vibrating and also It said that I will hear a clunking noise when accelerating which I do here when I accelerate like I said and I dont know what the guy was saying about how to check If they are bad I might Just chance this and buy the part for twenty bucks and hope I can get my dad or friends dad to help Install.

Camaro 69 09-16-2011 05:16 PM

I was trying to keep it simple. Basically, the trans mount holds it down to the crossmember. If you can jack the trans up without any resistance from the mount, and you see 2 pieces instead of one when you do that, the mount is ripped apart.
When I had one let loose, the trans was whacking the tunnel pretty well. I actually had "clean" gouge marks on the tunnel above where the tail portion of the trans was hitting it.

craby 09-16-2011 10:22 PM

was the old one broke? sure sounds like the rearend is goin to me. all the noise is coming from the back?

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-16-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 571435)
was the old one broke? sure sounds like the rearend is goin to me. all the noise is coming from the back?

I think you are thinking that I replaced this and the problem still exists but that was a different person who posted on the thread but basically I havent looked to see yet but Im guessing Its the transmission mount because of the vibrating and the thump sound like when I give It gas but not enough to burn out I hear a quick thump coming from the rear right tire but hopefully the rear end Isnt going out on the car then.

Camaro 69 09-17-2011 09:23 AM

Sometimes, under-car sounds can reverberate and "travel", to where you "hear" it in a different spot from where the noise is actually coming from.

3800camaro 09-17-2011 12:39 PM

The vibration could also be caused by loose engine mounts. Jack your car up and check all mounts. Also look at your rear shocks. If they area orange delcarbons then replace them as they would cause wheel hop which is what you most likely hearing. Another way to see if your trans mount is shot is look at your shifter. If it jumps up when you give it gas it's torn. You'll also feel the thud of it hitting transfer through your seat to your a$$.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-17-2011 01:18 PM

Idk I wouldnt say I really feel anything Its more Of hearing It but like I said I have no Idea what you guys are talking about when you say all of this engine stuff so I either have to some how get my friends dad to look or my dad which I doubt will happen because he Is busy or pay a mechanic which Is what I will probably have to do which Is unfortionate because I wouldnt mind learning all this myself but when I dont know Jack **** Its pretty hard then.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-17-2011 01:48 PM

I am wondering If maybe there Is a website that will show step by step with text and pictures on how to check If these are bad and then replace them because that would be helpful I could buy a car fixing manual but they are In black also white I think so thats kinda lame then.

supafly147258 09-17-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6 (Post 571585)
I am wondering If maybe there Is a website that will show step by step with text and pictures on how to check If these are bad and then replace them because that would be helpful I could buy a car fixing manual but they are In black also white I think so thats kinda lame then.

what you can do if you want step by step instructions is buy a service book at an auto parts store the best brand is chilton thats what I use when i need help working on my car it will show you pictures and give very good descriptions of how to repair your car and they are only about $25 well worth it IMO

craby 09-17-2011 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
first pic shows motor mount with cross member in, second pic shows with out either. best i can do with the pictures i have. factory shop/service manual is the best.

Attachment 23765
Attachment 23766

craby 09-17-2011 08:55 PM

94 is a two book volume. heres a pretty good deal on a set. 1994 Camaro / Firebird *GM Factory Shop Service Manuals* | eBay

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-17-2011 09:03 PM

I think I will get one of the manuals at oriely for like twenty five bucks but I dont like them because they are black also white and I doubt they show you everything but anyway tonight I showed my dad the thump then he agreed Its a mount of some sort but he doesnt want to Jack the car up to take a look because he knew a kid back In high school her dad was a mechanic he died from a car falling so I will probably see If my friends dad has car ramps and give him the manual to look at then.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-17-2011 10:42 PM

I found these two transmission mounts which seem to be the same brand on both websites but Im not sure and for some reason the rock auto website has two different ones and Im not sure which one I need also rock auto Is half the price but pretty sure Its the same brand and all that why Is that then.

List: Transmission Mounts - 1994 Chevrolet Camaro | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-18-2011 02:27 PM

I am wondering If anyone would know which of those two mounts I would need It looks like on the rock auto catolog It shows two different ones at two differenet prices then.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-19-2011 10:27 PM

Will I have to replace the motor mount If I replace the transmission mount or will It be fine to replace the transmission mount but also could you tell me which one of the transmission mounts I would need on the link above then.

Camaro 69 09-20-2011 12:43 AM

I looked on rockauto, and only saw one mount for your application, the same one O'Reilly's has. And yeah, big difference in price. Even after tacking on shipping, rockauto will be less. No, you won't need to replace your motor mount, as long as it's not bad. But I can't tell from here.

Senshi09 09-20-2011 09:18 AM

start with your trans mount, that is what is causing your thump in the back. From what i was told/experianced the only reason to change your motor mount is if you can feel the motor bouncing around. Since you don't hear or feel the thump from the front then your motor mounts should be fine.

Even with the ramps, you will still need to jack the trans up using the floor jack and board. NEVER EVER put a solid jack on your transmission pan, you will destroy the pan and have all sorts of problems. Hence why you use the board, its a flat surface and distributes the weight from the jack evenly.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 03:26 PM

My motor Is fine I was Just wondering If It was maybe a thing where If you replace one thing I might have to replace another but anyway If you click on the second link then It shows a screen shot of where It has two different options.

Camaro 69 09-20-2011 04:13 PM

You mean the private label package or regular inventory option? Since that's listed as an Anchor part, private label means it would come in a box going by a different name, but it's still an anchor part. "Private labeling" is where the manufacturer sells their parts to other companies to put their own name on it, and it goes on a lot in the world.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 04:40 PM

I am confused which one Is better or which one should I buy because the price difference Is a few bucks so I dont care which one I get then.

craby 09-20-2011 05:29 PM

they are both the same part made by the same company. buy the least expensive one.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 05:46 PM

I will do that then I Just wasnt sure why one would be more expensive then the other If they are the same part then.

Camaro 69 09-20-2011 06:50 PM

All three are the same. The one at O'Reilly's is more expensive. The two at rockauto are the same, the cheaper (private label) one would be a rockauto house brand "name" but still the same mount. Oh, and did I happen to mention they are all the same damn mount? ;)

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 07:52 PM

I will get the cheap one but would you know where I could get a set of those factory manuals for like under fifty bucks or around there because I dont have a ebay account and I dont wanna spend over fifty bucks on a set If anything I will Just get a haynes manual I know you guys are saying that they are limited on Information but would It atleast walk me though the process on this then.

Camaro 69 09-20-2011 09:17 PM

We already walked you through the process of replacing the mount, it's a simple task. I understand, it'll probably make more sense to you once you see pictures. Try google, or even on youtube. Somebody must have posted pictures or videos of the job.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 09:44 PM

I was looking for a answer about the manuals I also found this one but Idk whats better haynes for 15 or this one for 27 Chilton DIY 28284 - Total Car Care Manual 1994 Chevrolet Camaro | O'Reilly Auto Parts .

Camaro 69 09-20-2011 09:55 PM

I know you were asking about the manual, I was just trying to help you find info about the mount so you could take care if that right away. Factory service manual is the best, and I've bought them for a few cars on ebay, too bad you don't have an account. Might make it worth while to set one up, or find someone you know who can get it for you off ebay.

94ChevyCamaroV6 09-20-2011 10:02 PM

I will check It out and let my cousin know If I find a decent deal but should I buy a polyurethane mount or get the one I was getting I saw things like the polyurethane will have vibration problems; I might have to drill to fit; I might have to use washers to make up for space etc this car Is used for normal driving and cruising around town with a few races and burnouts but nothing maJor like drag races Just normally race friends small burnouts etc whats your opinion then.