I have a question about oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear member
Default I have a question about oil.

I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro V6 3.4L car that reccomends you use 5w 30 but there wasnt much oil In the car today so my dad told me to add the quart of 10w 30 to the car so that we could get the car up to the shop which Is a few miles away. He said that this wont hurt the car because oil Is oil and he has done this plenty of times before with his vehicles. I was wondering If that since I put the 10w 30 In If that could mess the car up but I wont run It empty once the car Is finished being repaired we will change the oil out to what It needs but we needed to add oil so we could atleast drive the car to the shop. Well then my next thing would be what oil would you reccomend should I stick with the original manufactures recommendations of 5w 30 or what because I also saw on a different thread I made they said use 10w 40 but Idk about that reply to all my questions thanks for looking at my post.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

i always run 10w 30 so no it wont ruin it

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Katzen
i always run 10w 30 so no it wont ruin it
Alright cool whats your recommended oil 5w 30 like mine lol.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear member

His would have a 3.8 since it's a '98 and those recommend 10w30. As far as I know the only difference is 5w is thinner at startup and they're both about the same when warm, hence the 30 part.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
His would have a 3.8 since it's a '98 and those recommend 10w30. As far as I know the only difference is 5w is thinner at startup and they're both about the same when warm, hence the 30 part.
Alright well then should I leave the oil Inside the car or should I bring the car In to get a oil change and have them put the recommended 5w 30 In but for a wierd reason I made a thread about what oil to put In my car then a person said 10w 40 I think even though the car recommends 5w 30 should I still put 5w 30 In the car when I get a oil change the car has 161k miles If that helps.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear member

You won't have any problem leaving it in there until your next scheduled oil change. I would keep using 5w30 whenever you get your oil changed, but small changes in viscosity won't make a ton of difference. Especially just one quart.

If you have your owner's manual there should be a chart showing the recommended oil at different seasonal temperatures.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

is the car leaking oil or burning oil? if its burning it, a thicker oil will help it stop. with the higher mileage and the tolerances being looser, it wont hurt. the only thing it would affect is fuel milage, and that probably woulndt be a measurable difference

Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Droid

[quote= Well then my next thing would be what oil would you recommend should I stick with the original manufactures recommendations of 5w 30 or what because I also saw on a different thread I made they said use 10w 40 but Idk about that reply to all my questions thanks for looking at my post.[/quote]
You been asking the same questions about oil for you engine, but apparently you are not happy with the answers, and keep asking the same thing hoping that some one will agree with your ideas. You previously indicated that you have a high mileage engine, which means bearing clearances have opened up and the rings and valve seals are not sealing as good as they used to. This indicates that a heavier weight/viscosity oil is more appropriate for your engine as it will help maintain oil pressure to protect the bearings. Additionally, the thicker oil will be less prone to flow through the rings and valve seals causing carbon build up and smoke.

The first number of the oil weight indicates how it flows at low temperature, the W indicates a multi viscosity oil, the next number indicates how well the oil flows at 100 degree C. SO,... comparing 5W30 oil to 5W40, both oils will have the same viscosity at freezing temp, but the 5W30 will have less viscosity than the 5W40 when the temperature reaches 100C.
Mixing different viscosity oils won't cause any damage as long as the oil pressure is maintained.
Read this article by Amsoil and learn about oils.
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by z28pete
You been asking the same questions about oil for you engine, but apparently you are not happy with the answers, and keep asking the same thing hoping that some one will agree with your ideas. You previously indicated that you have a high mileage engine, which means bearing clearances have opened up and the rings and valve seals are not sealing as good as they used to. This indicates that a heavier weight/viscosity oil is more appropriate for your engine as it will help maintain oil pressure to protect the bearings. Additionally, the thicker oil will be less prone to flow through the rings and valve seals causing carbon build up and smoke.

The first number of the oil weight indicates how it flows at low temperature, the W indicates a multi viscosity oil, the next number indicates how well the oil flows at 100 degree C. SO,... comparing 5W30 oil to 5W40, both oils will have the same viscosity at freezing temp, but the 5W30 will have less viscosity than the 5W40 when the temperature reaches 100C.
Mixing different viscosity oils won't cause any damage as long as the oil pressure is maintained.
Read this article by Amsoil and learn about oils.
Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
Well I wouldnt say the car has high mileage with only 161k miles but alright thanks for posting.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Well I wouldnt say the car has high mileage with only 161k miles but alright thanks for posting.
lol. What kind of mileage do you consider to be high then?

Quick Reply: I have a question about oil.