I drove fast and broke something: 'Clunk clunk clunk'

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default I drove fast and broke something: 'Clunk clunk clunk'

Oh man - I was late going to work today so sped along at 120 for 8 minutes or so... Anyways we got rained out today so I didn't even have to be at work - as I'm leaving I hear 'clunk, clunk, clunk' over the bumps out there at the sawmill - get back on the road and every bump I hit now I hear a clunk, clunk, sometimes if the grounds patchy for a while its more of a 'clack, clack, clackity clack' kinda sound... Dammit...!

Anyways Sittin in the drivers seat its not so loud to me but drivin me crazy it sounds like its comin from the rightish from me, maybe down under or up front near the wheel? I did a google on it and it came back with maybe a transmission mount/ujoint broken, does that sound right to you guys?? Is it a hard/expensive fix? Can I still drive the car or is something going to fall off of it/get worse - I'm supposed to be at my other job in 5 hours.

Thanks.
Poor Cammy

Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member

is it only doing it over bumps cuz if so it kinda sounds like an exhaust hanger broke

Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah for the most part only over bumps - I'll put her on ramps and crawl down there for a look around as soon as it quits thunderstorming out.

Also if I put on the brakes hard I'll hear it clunk clunk clunk at me which I assume is just whatever is broken rocking forward as the car slows. I doubt it's a brake problem as I just had new pads/rotors put in less than a month ago.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Overdrive Member

Check your driveline. You may have a 2 piece driveline and you could have messed up the carrier bearing. Not a fun thing to fix but the good news is you can get a one piece driveline and never have to worry about the carrier breaking on you. Any 4th gen driveline will work for your car. Oh and if you replace the line then get some new U-joints just to be sure.

Massey

Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Also make sure a tire didn't pick up something at the sawmill.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok heres an update - I crawled under her, the heatshield over the starter is a little loose I guess I didn't tighten her up enough and a nut fell off when I stuck her back on I can rattle her around really easy and she makes noise...

Almost didn't catch this next part, kinda sounded like it was comin from the passenger area, I looked at the caliper and the BOTTOM bolt that mounts the part that holds the pistons to the piece that holds the brakepads/rotor goes in is NOT there(the dust cap was also not on still popped but I guess thats no biggie). Anger!!! I paid a guy to do this!!! Thats just plain sloppy/retaurded, I can slide the move the caliper by hand, til it hits the wheel - I know it's a stretch but what if the ****in brakes had fallen out or something when I was goin really fast?? I could be dead!! Anyways I'll get that bolt back in in a min and tighten on the heatshield if I can find a nut to fit and see if the sound goes away.

How do I check the driveline?? I can push on it it doesn't move really, maybe a little but it's just a wiggle.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

check the bar that goes from the diff to the trans that just broke on me and it sounds like the same problem

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're luckier that it was the bottom bolt and not the top. My daughters (now) ex-b.f. did a brake job on her Crapalier. A while later she's complaining that the car is making a clunking noise in front. It wouldn't make it going forward, only reverse...once I hit the brakes. That's weird! So I look, and evidently the numb-nuts didn't tighten the caliper bolts all the way. The bottom bolt was backed out and the caliper was swinging up when hitting the brakes in reverse. And it was still catching the rotor enough so the pads wouldn't come out. Going forward, the force made it stay put. You were semi-ok with the bottom bolt missing, until the top bolt was to back itself out too.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Tightened heatshield/caliper up and took cammy down the road, around the roundabout, up some dirt roads and over some railroad tracks. Sounds gone yay!! It's got to have been the brake, that heatshield is alot lighter metal and woulda been making more of a clinking sound.. Grrr.... Is there a certain torque I have to get it too? I just kinda made it 'Real Tight', but I got a torque wrench I can check it later.

Basicconcepts Yeah I saw the big iron one(driveshaft I think) and like a thin fat black one above it they seemed ok, I pulled on them and eyed them down they seemed ok.. Sound is gone so I think I'm good now.