HydroMaro project

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Hydromaro project

Assuming it work, there is stillthe problem using the car electrical system to produce hydrogen through electrolysis. This is becausethe power needed to produce the hydrogen, is more than the power obtained by burning it. Being that the car engine has to produce the power to handle the extra electrical load, the net result is a loss of power and loss of fuel economy.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've started building the one to put in the car. I'm using CPVC(schedule 80) pipe as the housing because it's heat resistant and can be bought from a local source, and it's easy to work with.

When I went to a local supplier, Titan Industries, to get the pipe I told the guy what I was doing. He told me a company out of Nebraska has them on all their fleet trucks.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Ninja Administrator

im still confused how we can look at all the math and reasoning and you're still going ahead with this.

we already decided that you will safe fuel economy, that is a given. you are tricking your pcm into running lean. = less gas. but the hydrogen aspect is a gimmick designed to make you think it will be safe when its not...........

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

but the hydrogen aspect is a gimmick designed to make you think it will be safe when its not
I am a bit squeamish to say the least, but I see a lot of people that claim to use it and I have yet to see one that said it didn't work, or blew their car up. I don't bother with those sites that are just trying to sell their plans, but with people that have built them and use them.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Ninja Administrator

a lean condition, unless ur using FI, nitrous, or redlining on a consistant basis, will take awhile to wreck your motor. I give your motor a year before seals are fried.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Spec, it's obvious you have a tad bit of chemistry background, so I have a question or two. When I read up on some of these "supplemental hydrogen" kits that are sold, I got the impression that the concept was that the hydrogen gas would be a "power enhancer", adding to the existing air/fuel mix. Because, what isn't making sense to me is, if the hydrogen is allowed to enter a TB after any sensors, or into a carbureted engine, how is it able to lean out your incoming fuel mixture that has already been metered?
And, I've never messed with it, but does running nitrous as a power enhancer cause a damaging lean-fuel situation as well?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

the concept has 2 parts: add hydrogen, and modify the tune to run lean. the emphasis on most sites is making the cylender to produce hydrogen with a little side note about "oh yeah, and you need to lean out the engine as well".

they have various ways of doing this, alot of them are kinda like those ebay resistor deals. so, youre right, in THEORY (well.... i cant even say in theory, because the theory behind it is that it wont work too)the hydrogen is supplemental energy. you have to force your engine to run lean. the hydrogen wont do it for you.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It seems that there might be some info the people selling the kits don't want to tell you (or scare you with)? Alrighty then, so what would happen if you didn't lean out your fuel mix? Maybe I mis-read their mumbo-jumbo, but I understood it to create hydrogen fumes that mixes with the incoming air and it acts as a power-assist, not as a partial fuel replacement? In theory (there's that word again), if you entered a third element to the air/fuel mix that enhances power, would that not create more energy inside the engine, making the engine work less hard to move the car along, and in turn use less gas in the end? That's how I pictured the concept to work.
Oh, and you didn't answer my last question about nitrous. Do you need to run your fuel lean for it as well?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Ninja Administrator

well, nothing. i pointed out earlier on in this thread that even the highest producing electrolysis machines dont produce enough hydrogen to affect anything (around the level of 1/1000th to 1/10,000th).

even if you did make enough, and didnt lean out the mixture, you still wouldnt save gas. the MAF would still read the same and would inject the same amount of fuel. if you let it vent in before the maf it woudlnt do anything since its not being forced, its just vented. the hydrogen is subject to all of the same flow restrictions as the incoming air, so you really dont change what your MAF sees