First Project...will need all the help I can get

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Default First Project...will need all the help I can get

Alrighty so just traded my bike for 1982 z28 with a rebuilt 350.
I want to get this out of the way...that I have a very short span of working on cars....I can do crotch rockets and cruisers but this is my first car project. So just assume I know nothing and tell me every little detail...I wont be offended.

Things to fix

1) When starting, usually have to try a few times and pump gas. Cranks and rolls over fine just doesnt seem to catch right away.

2)Once it does start, usually will not idle and stalls out, after multiple tries and revving...it will idle.

3) speed and tach do not work...will a simple replacement fix this?

4) brakes are verrry squishy...but will stop just not as fast as i would like. I belive I just need to bleed the lines.

Im pretty sure all of this is a easy fix with just some replacements and an overall cleaning of parts but please let me know! Thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 AM

Also....I can turn the ignition switch without a key in it and will start....

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
4th Gear Member

sounds like a project vehicle to me, not a daily driver.

anyway, welcome and please don't go away once you get it running

First things first, get a mechanics mirror and read the stamping on the back of the block

then, using your internet connection, compare the casting #s and determine if it really is a 350. Many sellers simply say it but it's in fact a 305.

As for the running issue, the simplest thing to check is the timing. If yu don't have a timing light then go get one.

You should also replace the fuel filter.

If it isn't either of those, then you are looking at the carb as the suspect

It's an internal combustion engine

you need

air
fuel
spark

that kind of simplifies things doesn't it?

You should toss some plugs,wires, rotor and dist cap at it as well as fuel filter, time it and see where you are after that.

It's a 29 year old vehicle and I'm sure it isn't documented as to what is in it and what's been done

I'm restoring an 89 and the future buyer will know exactly what's in it and what was done

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

To address the tach: Typically on those pre-1990 it is because someone swapped an ignition component and didn't correctly wire that back into the tach. Get a wire diagram and figure out which is + and -. for example, my 87 pink is + and white is -. negative is used for the tach if no filter in place.

Speedo: my cable actually just broke yesterday, so either its a cable, or the gear in the transmission (drive or driven could be stripped). Or, once again, if it were a swap job, it may not be the correct trans for that year.

Get us a VIN number, that might help ID what was original to that car in 82. Sounds to me like it would have been a 305 CFI, or carb(assuming a z28) then a 76MM 4speed, or a TH200. If it were not a Z and just a base coupe, it have had the L4, V6 with that trans combo, or the V8's I listed earlier..Good luck

Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a few other things to think about if is a fuel problem it might be the fuel pump going out if it times out alright check your choke i do believe that it is carbed

on your brakes when you are bleeding them check the your flexable brake lines for any cracks or leaks. old lines will give the the same soft brake feeling.

As for the key issue just replace the tumbler with a new key it shouldn't be a problem for that year

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM

Yes this is definately not a daily driver, I have zero intentions of ever taking it on the actual road. I just wanted something to play with and learn some stuff. Thanks for the help, Ill check out the Engine casting number and see if its really a 350. And ill get a vin for you djs.

Last edited by Linacre; 03-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM

can you give some some quick step by step to check the timing...and fix it if its off.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Linacre
Yes this is definately not a daily driver, I have zero intentions of ever taking it on the actual road. I just wanted something to play with and learn some stuff. Thanks for the help,
FAMOUS LAST WORDS. Welcome to our addiction. I bought mine almost 5 years ago with the intention of a quick winter project..........now I wont give her up for the world. Welcome aboard.

Replace your carb, bty. Its probably full of junk. Spending 250 on a new carb will be well worth the investment.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM

haha Thanks scott, I actually already replaced the carb...first thing I did!