How to remove This Plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Default How to remove This Plate

Good day. I have this problem with the part under the streering wheel. I have tried googling and looking everywhere for too long. First we tried to pull it out but it did not come. So my friend asked from some dealer repairer how to do it and they said push it in a little but i think they confused it for the lock plate? Atleast i have looked on images and some tutorials show removing the wheel and none include taking out this ****.

Here is pucture its the rusty looking metal thingy

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting < seems like it put the text for link like that for some reason.

Im getting little desperate :P

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by erkkimies
Good day. I have this problem with the part under the streering wheel. I have tried googling and looking everywhere for too long. First we tried to pull it out but it did not come. So my friend asked from some dealer repairer how to do it and they said push it in a little but i think they confused it for the lock plate? Atleast i have looked on images and some tutorials show removing the wheel and none include taking out this ****.

Here is pucture its the rusty looking metal thingy

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting < seems like it put the text for link like that for some reason.

Im getting little desperate :P
If you press on it you well feel it move downwards a bit cause there is a spring in back of that. Press on it a bit and if you look at the shaft you well see there is metal clip holding it in place. This is the clip you have to remove. Beware that putting this clip back in place is hard on the nerves lolll. It has to be well seated in place. Hope this helps

May I ask why you want to remove this. Is the flasher assembly in nead of replacement?

Last edited by impala765; 06-28-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Fingers don't type what the brain tells them too lolll
Old 06-28-2011, 10:20 AM

I need to change the turh signal switch. So it should not require too much force to go down a bit ? Could it be blocked by not being at right angle. I mean i have tried to push it with the lock plate removal tool looking one. and i think the metal plate istself is giving up rather it going any down .

Thanks for reply

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by erkkimies
I need to change the turh signal switch. So it should not require too much force to go down a bit ? Could it be blocked by not being at right angle. I mean i have tried to push it with the lock plate removal tool looking one. and i think the metal plate istself is giving up rather it going any down .

Thanks for reply

It won't go down alot cause the spring is already compressed. You just need stiff fingures and patients and a little flat screwdriver to pry the ring off. If it's like the one on the Impala, the ring will be tight on the steering post. Just move it upwards a bit at a time. You'll figure it out while doing it. Have fun.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Overdrive Member

ON any of the airbag columns I have rebuilt (and there have been quite afew) the air bag coil is held in with a snap ring. This can be easily removed with snap ring pliers. under that is the lock plate which takes a lock plate removal tool (rent or buy for about $10) and 2 small standard screwdrivers to pry the little lock clip out. DO NOT MANGLE this lock clip!! It holds the entire column bearing assembly in place (no joke here) just walk it up out of its groove and then slide it up the column. Visit this site here for tips: (he is building the column but you will get a good idea on what to expect)

http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jaz...ck_Rebuild.pdf

And before you flame me here lemme explain. Yea this is for a Fiero, but the basic column is the same. The base of the column is different but hte top and head are the same. Only other exception is the airbag coil which we should be able to figure out.

Massey

Old 07-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Echo DarkFox and Massey - - steering wheel puller and snap ring pliers are maybe $35 in tools that save 10 times that amount in blood pressure meds (or Jim Beam.)

Having fun with the air bag pack? I felt like a bomb squad member, holding it away from my face and telling my son to get the hell out of my way.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

oh god your changing the turnsignal switch..... there are two clips, that one and an even harder clip after that :'( i had to give up on it and make a special tool for it from an old philips head (we grinded two of them down to a point) to put them into little holes on the second clip