How my Camaro was lost......ALMOST!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 03:55 PM
Default How my Camaro was lost......ALMOST!

Guys and gals,

Sorry of this is long. I have owned my 1994 Camaro Z28 since 2001. In the small area i live in, just outside of Phoenix, the Camaro was synonymous as my car or as my friends called it "the Beast". There were not many 4th gen Camaros in my area and none that were black. I had plenty of fun modding, racing around and just being able to take it for cruses around my area. As soon as someone saw or heard my car, they knew who it was.

Fast forward a few years. My son had gotten into some legal trouble and it was going to be expensive just to help him out. The easiest way I knew (at that time) to get money right away was to sell my Camaro and use the money for legal help. I figured this would be the fastest way since a lot of people knew my car and what it had under the hood. I went to a friend of mine whom I had known for at least 10 years. This guy helped me out so much when I struggled and never once asked anything in return. I would be there for him if he ever did. This friend owned a auto repair shop and always had cars for sale on his lot. I figured he knew a lot of people and could help me sell this car right away, then I could help my son.

One month passed....then two, then three and four and he still did not sell the car, By this point I was able to get the money needed to help my son. He told me many times that he had people who were ready to "cash me out" and buy the car, yet no one ever did. So since the car did not get sold and I was able to get the money that I needed to help my son, I contacted my friend and told him to forget about selling the car and that I would pick it up at his shop. He delayed and said that car was not at his place, that it was at his friends place getting the tranny repaired. I think by now you see where this is going.

I didn't think too much about this because I knew he had many friends in the car biz (painters, fabricator, tranny shops, etc...). Another month or two pass and I'm getting a little more suspicious as he seems to be dodging me. I began to hear things that he was dodging other people and this was a red flag at this point. My friend said he would bring my car on this day but always had some excuse as to why he couldn't make it. Two more weeks pass and now I'm pissed and I, uh, convinced him that he best have my car at my place on this day or else. I was done playing.

I'm not home when I get a call saying that my car was at my house. I was happy she was home and couldnt wait to see it again. When I got home that evening, I was in for the shock of my life. My car had been used and abused!! My rear tires had been switched out (probaly from all of the burn outs, I'm guessing) my dash was cloudy that I couldn't even see the gauges, my seats were covered in an oily dirt you see at junk yards, revers no longer worked, and my engine just didn't sound the same. WTF happened!??!

My friend avoided me and when I went to his house he wasn't there and when I called him he wouldn't answer. Finally when was able to talk to him (finally picked up the phone), I asked what he did to my car!?!? He said that he didn't do that and the friend of his who was working on it did. Of course I was pissed beyond disbelief and expressed my anger (keeping this PG) and explained to him that my redwing boot and his rectum would soon be joined in unholy matrimony. I had friends who knew us both told me that when I was ready, they would go with me to give him a what for.

In the end, I said no, I would not retaliate. I would take my losses and look at it as a life lesson learned. He had helped me so many times when I was down and never once asked for anything in return or throw it in my face that he helped me. I later learned that he had been addicted to drugs and burned a lot of others and lost his business and some close friends, including me.

Needless to say, we are no longer friends and I've moved on from this. I had many people shake their heads at me asking why I never got revenge. I took as a lesson learned. This how she sits now waiting for the day she'll be back on the streets. I have a rebuilt short block, Lloyd Elliot heads and cam, a fresh rebuilt transmission with a TCI 3500 stall waiting to go in. I have to order a few more parts but I'm hoping within the next 6 months to have her rolling again.

Thanks for reading.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Well at least it wasn't completely wrecked or stolen and stripped and you got it back,tough lesson,speaking of which whatever trouble your son got in I hope he learned something was well.
Sounds like she'll be better than ever this go round,keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

post up your list of stuff to go in her... what exhaust you using? build sounds familiar for some reason,,,, hahahahaahhahah