How I get my car up on Ramps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How I get my car up on Ramps

I have a set of Ramps that I have had for years. I first bought them when I got my first Camaro. (like 20 years ago)

I always had trouble getting the car up the ramps because the car's bumper would push the ramps and not let the wheels roll up them. (This was before low profile ramps)

I got this solution from a guy in the UK when I had a BMW Z4.

Pretty much you go to Home Depot and buy a 2 X 12 piece of Cull Lumber more than twice the width of your tire for 51¢. You cut it in half and place one piece in front of each front tire. Drive onto the wood. From there you can drive onto your ramps with out any problem.

You could do this with a 2 X 6 or a 2 X 4, but 2X12's are easier.

As always you should use your best judgment and follow the safety instructions that come with your ramps. You should never blindly follow some random person's post you find on the Internet, especially mine.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You can even stair-step the boards if you need to get higher than 1.5"
I sometimes had sliding issues with the metal ramps, especially on the concrete garage floor.
I finally got to the "oh screw it" point, and would jack the front up, and slide a ramp under each tire.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You can even stair-step the boards if you need to get higher than 1.5"
I sometimes had sliding issues with the metal ramps, especially on the concrete garage floor.
I finally got to the "oh screw it" point, and would jack the front up, and slide a ramp under each tire.
I took the lazy mans way

pull in your car to the garage but not all the way. Place the ramps in front of tires where you would if you were going to drive up

go to the rear of the ramps and dead center of each, make a mark with a pencil

push ramps away and drill a hole in the floor where the pencil marks are

insert an anchor into the floor

get a 2 /12 or 3 inch bolt which matches the threads and install into the anchors.

place a brick or piece of 2x4 in front of each bolt
place ramps in front of the brick or wood

drive on up with no sliding

I find a brick to be best because as you use the ramps for other vehicles, some wider, some narrower, the brick is stout enough to not move as you drive up the ramps. I got tired of using jack stands for oil changes and other jobs for my rear wheel drive vehicles because the ramps kept sliding

basically all it requires is 2 anchors, 2 bolts and a few minutes with a hammer drill and you're set forever

I of course have a few extra bolts because I tend to forget where i put them

when done, simply unscrew the bolt and your garage floor is flush because the anchors are sunk below the floor level

Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, I had considered doing that, but I sometimes work on my car in different spots.
Most times, that's dictated by where the piles of parts and other crap is sitting.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

I've used home made ramps made from 3 2x6's for the last 20 years. Best part is you can raise the car on 5 different levels per side. If a drain plug is on the left, you can put the left tire on the 2nd level and the right on the 5th, and you get more of the old oil out.