Hoping someone can help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Question Hoping someone can help?

Im sorry for the detailed story in advance, but I figure the better I explained myself the more someone may understand to help me. Which I hope is the situation.

I have a 95 Chevy Camaro with some new problems.
About 2 1/2 years ago I had problems with my electrical (at least thats the best way to describe it) My car was losing charge while I was driving and would die at stop lights. I replaced alternator and the battery twice with no avail. Then tried replacing all the spark plugs, the fuses, the starter, as well as the battery and alternator again. An one day it magically worked. Since then the car has ran okay. But I feel like the way this problem started last time may be happening again.
After filling up my gas tank my check gages light came on, with none of the gages reading in the red. Then fallowed the ABS light. Although the battery gage was lower then usual (which I am going to take to be tested, as well as my alternator) The reason I am posting before doing so, is I really dont think that is the only problem. My headlight have been on a pattern of every other side burning out about once every year (not sure if thats normal) however, within the past 2 weeks both head light burnt out. Which me not knowing much about cars and all the other problem feels like something is really wrong electrically and no one is finding it?
After driving the car home with the check gages and abs light on I started to hear a vibrating or loss sound when I was accelerating and then when I parked the car I could hear it was coming for the mid section of the vehicle. I did some research and I am going to check the catalytic converter heat shield. Which from what I read has nothing to do with the other problem.
So, Im not sure if these problems are all related or if my car decided to take a **** in different area all in one day?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is this a v8 or 6? let us know if the alternator is bad. while u are checking heat shield have a look at the transmission mount.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Droid

It would appears that the alternator may be overcharging. Test it with a voltmeter connected across the battery posts. Run engine at around 3000 RPM, the voltage should be between 13.5 & 14 Volt. Check it with all lights and accessories off and again with everything turned on.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
It would appears that the alternator may be overcharging. Test it with a voltmeter connected across the battery posts. Run engine at around 3000 RPM, the voltage should be between 13.5 & 14 Volt. Check it with all lights and accessories off and again with everything turned on.
How would you go about fixing that? my battery gauge runs at almost the highest notch before hitting 18 and bobs from about there and half occasionally...

Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM

It is a v6. I havent been able to get the battery checked just yet. But I did turn the car on an take the positive off the alternator an the car didnt die. (which someone told me would tell me if the alternator was good or not) As for the volt meter test, I tried it off, on, and on with lights/everything on and it reads at 11 volts no matter what the circumstance. So I think the battery is just about to go out. When I turned the car on today the sound from underneath wasn't happening. Although when I checked my oil it was dark and I'm wondering if maybe the car was overheating because I need an oil change which was intern heating the heat shield and started the rattle. Not sure if that all make sense. But any other thoughts would be great.
Thanks for the reply

Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Also.... my car battery has always ran high like imalixZ28 posted. Right on the top notch line before going to the 18 red mark. So maybe the alternator is over charging? Not sure how to know that or not though

Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by corinnemarie22
It is a v6. I havent been able to get the battery checked just yet. But I did turn the car on an take the positive off the alternator an the car didnt die. (which someone told me would tell me if the alternator was good or not) As for the volt meter test, I tried it off, on, and on with lights/everything on and it reads at 11 volts no matter what the circumstance. So I think the battery is just about to go out. When I turned the car on today the sound from underneath wasn't happening. Although when I checked my oil it was dark and I'm wondering if maybe the car was overheating because I need an oil change which was intern heating the heat shield and started the rattle. Not sure if that all make sense. But any other thoughts would be great.
Thanks for the reply
should not take the battery cable off while the motor is running. u can burn the alternator out doing that. engine will not overheat because of old oil. motor does not like it though and will wear out much faster. if the battery volts are at 11 when the car is running then there is a problem somewhere. either the alternator is not charging right, could be a negative diode (has two) which would cut the amps that it could produce in half, or u have a short somewhere. u can check that by reading the volts with the battery unhooked and hooked up. if u get a big volt drop and nothing is on in the car (key off and all acc off) then u have a short somewhere.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. The car did breakdown completely tonight so its at a mechanics. Hopefully will find out the problem there. But thanks again for the input.