High idle and a few other issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Default High idle and a few other issues

Hi all. New member here so nice to meet y'all. Recently, I was practically given a 1995 3.4 automatic Camaro. A bit of peeling clear coat, saggy headliner, but overall in good shape. Engine runs pretty well. Previous owner said didn't know much about cars but said it was losing oil. May have slightly blown head gasket because it does appear to have a bit of steam from the tail pipe. I planned on taking the heads off anyways and getting them taken care of at a machine shop and replacing all the gaskets so Im not too worried about that. I have been checking fluids and haven't seemed to be losing anything. Seems to be a bit of steam from the back, but heck it could just he the cooler weather.

Idle is high. Starts at around 2k then drops to about 1.5 - 1.7 in park.... In drive it's usually around 1.2-1.3... code reader came back with low voltage from the IAC, TPS, and MAP. Replaced IAC and TPS.. shifts a lot smoother, but still idles high. Planning to clean the inside of where the IAC goes into, and going to clean MAP.

Has died a few times randomly when in a fast food drive through, and it took a while to get started again. Has been pretty smooth for the short amount of time I've driven it when it's not randomly dying it runs great and handles well. Drove about 20 miles round trip yesterday and it died at 60mph once on the way there and twice on the way back. I was thinking maybe one of those sensors, otherwise I was thinking fuel pump.

Any other suggestions or ideas as to what the idle is still so high? Wanting to get this car running correctly and fix it up for my wife. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Replaced iac and tps..... Idle did not come down... Removed the plastic cover and found an idle screw. Probably not really an adjustment screw but I brought it back some and got the idle down to about 900-1k

Removed MAP and cleaned it today. Put it back on and immediately got a service engine light. Hooked it up to the scanner and it shows low voltage to the MAP. checked live data... At idle and WOT the voltage stays at .02... Looking for a possible vacuum leak.

Oil pressure jumps around a lot. Most cars I've had pick a place between 40-60 and stay there... The needle on this one likes to bounce around like some fine imported booty... planning to replace the sending unit.

Right now car is hard to start. It will crank and fire out but immediately die... After a while it will start and run... Blew some smoke into the breather tube.. it came out somewhere on the driver side but I couldn't see over there so gonna have someone look at it tomorrow while I blow smoke in it