hid headlights and fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default hid headlights and fog lights

hey everyone im fairly new to this site but ive been dealing with camaros for a couple years now mine is a 94 z28... im sure theres a bunch of other posts about hid headlights and fog lights but i was wondering if anyone had some good instructions on how to install them properly or a good sight i could go to for them. im aware that the headlights are a sealed beam and ive heard that you can use a 9006 buld for the headlight.. is there any other options and what size would i use for the foglights??

Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum first off. I moved this to tech section since it's mostly a question. For your headlights, you can modify your sealed beams and use the 9005/9006, but the new replacement sealed beams are going to be just as good if not better and much less of a hassle. As for your fog lights, are you looking to replace the bulbs in your stock housings or the entire light? There are better bulbs you can get, but they don't improve it much, it would just be better to switch them out with a set of piaa's or similar.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

hids arnt all there cracked up to be ive got them on my bike and i hate them there 8000k (supposed to be the brightest most realistic light) as for reflective surfaces... damn theyll light a reflector from 10 miles away but i find my self struggling to see the rd i havent really looked into it but imo the best headlights ive ever seen are the factory bulbs from an 08 scion tc super bright and they light up everything (they may be projector lights) but if there regular bulbs im going to put them in my bike

Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You got to understand that HID and HID bulbs are two different things. The HID bulbs are only meant to mimic the look of true HID lights, they may be a bit brighter, but they are not true HID. HID's use a ballast and are much brighter than just using an HID bulb.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya ive ballasts there not just bulbs

Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was putting that in for the OP.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ohh lol my bad

Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I've dealt with hids before just not in this car the only reason I would like to go with the hids is because I keep going through lo beam like every other month so I was thinking maybe if I get a decent pair in the long run it will save me the hassle of having to keep replacing them

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if your car is burning up regular bulbs than its going to burn up the ballasts for the hids

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea considered that so I was thinking about getting a cheap set from ebay to see if they are going to work and also running a relay for them to see if that makes a difference

Quick Reply: hid headlights and fog lights