Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Default Help Please

Ok so I have wanted a camaro for as long as I can remember and now I am finally able to get one. One that I am seriously considering is a 94 automatic 3.4L V6 with about 124k miles. The seller mentioned that the check engine light came on a few days ago and then when he arrived home that night the car began having a problem. The car will crank and idle but dies when put into gear. The diagnostic showed an EGR Valve problem. I'm trying to figure out what the actual issue is and if it would be an easy fix as I need a dependable car and I don't have a lot of money to spend fixing one up.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:54 AM

...also the guy said that the brake light has been on for a while but hadn't noticed any problems.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear member

I say no. Try to find one with decent miles with no problems.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:40 AM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

IMO, it would be better to pass on the car and step up to a 3.8. better everything all around and probably not to much difference in price. you will probably appreciate it more.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how much does he want and how much do you have? could be something simple or not. like said if you can afford it keep looking for a low mile 3.8.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

if you`re looking for dependability..
1) the car is a 94, too old
2) the car has multiple check lights on
3) at 124k miles, who knows how it was taken care of or driven.

It sounds like the guy got the car, drove the hell out of it to however far he could then when problems are just starting to kick in, try and get rid of it- since you say the brake light was on for a while. why would someone see a brake light on and not look into it? brakes is the most important thing on any car!

i say nay

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 AM

ok I appreciate the replies but I think I may have made the car sound worse than it actually is in my original post. First off yes it is a 94 with a 3.4 but that's good for fuel economy and insurance and it's a camaro---just what ive wanted. I don't care too much about it not being a super powerful street car at this point in time and will upgrade this car or move on to another car when the time comes (I should mention I'm only 19 with all financial responsibility on me for food, rent, bills, school, etc.). The car is only going to cost me 1200-1400 bucks-I don't think you can beat that. I didn't think that 124k miles on a 94 was too bad at all. The current owner bought the car from a past owner about a year ago, has taken good care of it while in his possession, and the only reason he is selling is b/c he lost his job. One of his good friends is a mechanic and has done most of the work on the car. I will be checking the EGR valve for proper functioning as well as the cleanliness of the valve, hoses, and ports. For the brake light issue, the car needed a brake replacement as well as a new wheel cylinder, which was done, but the brake light remained on (I'm thinking it needs a reset). Again thanks for the replies but the reason for my posting wasn't so much for asking if you guys thought it was a good deal as for asking for some input on the egr valve light and the problem with the car cutting out when put into gear.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Good luck. Hope you dont regret it!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a bad egr will mess with the idle. sounds like it may be a good deal. to reset the brake light you press on the brake peddle as hard as you can.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i would just save up more money and go with a v8 right away, i had a 3.8 02 camaro and i liked it but i sold it within a year because i wanted a v8, you think you wont want a bigger engine right away, but when you start driving it more and you see the v8 flying around, your gonig to want one, so i would try to find a decent v8