Help with paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Help with paint

O K I think I found the GM color code for my camaro. It is arctic white, and has been repainted before I got it. It has a couple cracks in the front and on the rear bumper there are cracks and the plastic turned black from a shopping cart. I want to use touch up paint, but I want it to blend almost perfectly. My steps would be
-clean
-primer
-paint
-clearcoat
-wetsand

That was my plan, but I don't have to much experience painting, so any tips and advice, or other ways of doing this would be much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm guessing your cracks are all the way down to the base like mine. If this is the case then you will have to take it down all the way to the plastic base. You can try and use a fast build epoxy primer over it but my painter friend suggested to me not to do this because some degree of shrinkage may occur re-exposing the cracks again. Most paints require a flex additive for plastic parts but I've been told some brands can handle more flex than others without any flex additive. I'm not sure which brand is better than others. Just make sure you use one brand paint system rather than mix products. I've fvk'd up couple of paint jobs doing so. Consult your supplier, they should have a paint guide to follow. Other than that it should be pretty easy being white. good luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you just looking to use touch up paint for cracks then you're wasting your time. They will just come back in time. Best thing to do would be to get it repainted professionally. Just my .02.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I have been thinking about it and touch up paint may not be the best route. Ill probably go talk to the paint guys tomorow. Maybe I shud just take off the panel and repaint the whole thing?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you do the prep work yourself, then it really shouldn't cost you that much. But talk to your body shop before you do the prep. Some shops are picky about finishing someone elses work.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you want to do it right. Grab a paintucation video (I know the name is a little cheesy)
Body shop basics takes you thru the steps on blending paint. Also many auto paint supply places can scan your paint to get a match. You will have to buy a quart (aleast that is the min at my place) but since you say it has all ready been painted it is your best options. There are a ton of "whites" out there.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/17/Paintucation-Series

Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if you do touch up you would still notice it because your not gonna match a color EXACTLY it will look better from far away but you will still be able to notice it, and it will eventually crack again, if you really want to get it done right just get the whole thing painted that's the only way it's gonna be perfect, it's not really worth it. in my opinion.