whats the best cams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default whats the best cams?

so i wanted to get some cams and was juts wondering which ones the best like lift,duration,and rpm range...what would give me the most hp and sound nice

Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

read cam sticky

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 AM
1st Gear Member

no ideas yet. i'll get some info.....

Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you obviously need to do more research on your own here...

there's only one cam in a z28...so some cams doesn't make sense

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM

well that last reply was packed full of information on a good cam, now we all know there is only one cam in a pushrod motor!!!!! im glad i checked this thread for some good cam info

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by JLink3
well that last reply was packed full of information on a good cam, now we all know there is only one cam in a pushrod motor!!!!! im glad i checked this thread for some good cam info
not sure how to respond here...are you talking crap or what?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

J smart a$$ remarks will get u nowere on the site. every motor build calls for a different cam. the dimensions of a good cam motor matchup depends on what the motor will be used for and what other upgrades are on the motor or planed for the motor. there is no magic cam for all motors although some companies would like u to believe that. there are a couple good places to go were u can tell them your info and they will recomend a cam. or (the best way to go) cam heads combo. elliotts portworks is a good place to order from if u are serious about buying. theres another but i cant remember there name. do the research. learn everything u can about your car.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by JLink3
I'm glad you responded in such a fervent manner. First of all, the question that was posted is much too broad of a question to be answered in a thread. Due to the fact that a camshaft is going to need to be matched to RPM, head flow (intake and exhaust), compression ratio, displacement, rocker ratio, other valve train components (if you can see what I'm getting at here, it's pretty much the central component of a build and everything needs to be matched appropriately depending on your HP goals and abilities). There are benefits and detriments to every cam, you can get something that makes boat-loads of power in the top end, but it will lack low end torque. The opposite is also true. The OP did not state the goals they had for the car or any other key modifications that have been made. Before purchasing a camshaft there is a vast amount of research that needs to be done as well as considerations for that person individually and thier ultimate goal with the power and application for their personal vehicle. We simply told the OP to do more research on what needs to be done. There is more than enough information on this site to point someone in the right direction in choosing a camshaft as well as all the considerations that go along with that choice. Is this answer full of enough imformation for you?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

slvr wins...slvr wins, lol

thank you for explaining what i meant with such grace...you truly are the man!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 PM

so far warhammer you have made the most posts in this thread with the least information! thanks! Elliotts portworks looks like a decent resource for grind specs so thanks craby, im in MA so id probably have a machinist around here grind what im lookin for. I'm new to ls1's not to cars and im aware there are countless different configurations for a motor setup. I opened the first thread ive ever read on this forum and saw a pointless comment in response to someone trying to get some information thats why i responded the way i did but it ended up producing some more info so thats okay. I'm enjoying my ss so far, i have to replace my carrier bearings and pinion bearings and a window motor but i do like the car a lot, my first camaro.

Quick Reply: whats the best cams?