Help me judge this. buying Is this worth it.....??

Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Well the camaro is far away from me, I am going to travel that city in Feb... i dont know the vin, nor anything else than what I saw on that time..... anyway I am almost sure its a 96 rs.... the interior can be cleaned, but I am much more worried about the mechanical part, a car parked for about 2 years in a city with a lot of heat and humidity/moisture in the air. I am worried about if the engine could be rusted inside.

Another question.... who much powerful is a camaro engine..... I read on wikipedia that the 3.8 engine has only about 200hp.... and its very low for a 3.8 engine. my 2.5L sebring has 170hp and my last peugeot 2.2 had 175hp......

Could be posible to remove that engine and put a new engine/transmission from other branch. for example new hyundai 1.6 engines have about 135 hp.... I am asking this becausse for a 3.8engine I must pay about 720 usd each year of taxes and I earn 1000usd monthly........ but with an 2.2 engine I will pay only about 150 usd each year..

have anyone put another engine on a car like this one...... I am asking this thinking that is the engine is rusted by inside I will probably need to replace it. and I would need to buy one and bring it to my country...... how much damaged can be a car stoped for about 2 years....

Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well depending on the condition of the engine when it was parked . It will prob run with an oil change and a tune up.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
4th Gear Member

^ What he said.

As for a swap....it wouldn't be practical or economical to swap a smaller engine into it. Especially one that isn't made for it. These cars were made around the engine, not the other way around.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM

Well I was thinking on bringing a chevy cruze engine and transmission or something like that but in fact considering all the job that must be done that would be very very expensive, much more expensive that repairing it and paying those extra fees and taxes for the 3.8 engine. Maybe I could find a crashed cheap car with a good condition engine and trans, for example I found a 2005 VW gol with an 1.8 engine at 2500 USD. on pics the car itself looks usefull for a project like this one!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Guys, what should I check firstly on this camaro, I am going to check it in 2 weeks, and I would like to know what should I check. I am going to carry a battery in order to connect it to the camaro and check if it starts. should I put some oil (not hanging the actual) and a few gas before doing this?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

Before even trying to start it, check the oil and the coolant. Open the hood and poke around. Make sure vacuum lines, fuel lines, etc are not dry rotted, broken, etc. Check all the other fluids as well. (trans, brake, etc) Depending on how long it has sat without starting, you might have problems with the gas as well.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Melssj5
Well I was thinking on bringing a chevy cruze engine and transmission or something like that but in fact considering all the job that must be done that would be very very expensive, much more expensive that repairing it and paying those extra fees and taxes for the 3.8 engine. Maybe I could find a crashed cheap car with a good condition engine and trans, for example I found a 2005 VW gol with an 1.8 engine at 2500 USD. on pics the car itself looks usefull for a project like this one!
The cost of putting any engine other than the one in their isn't worth it. The car is also RWD, both the Cruze and the Golf are FWD. Even [i]if[/] there was a way to make the Camaro FWD, it would lose its resale value fast. If you really wanted to avoid the insurance and fees, I'd look for a 3rd gen with the 4 cyl. or 2.8 V6. Those are the smallest engines a Camaro ever came with. Don't expect much performance from them though.

Check all fluids, as stated. Check tires and underneath the car for rust. Any spot that looks questionable, give it a knock. If it sounds like a door knock, you're good. If it sounds split up and pieces fall, question it. Check brake and fuel lines for rust as well.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks a lot... well I am not worried about the performance since I cannot go over 60km/h on city or 90km/h on roads becausse new laws on my country mean immediately jail for that. but having a new engine will make the car more valuable at least in my country. anyway I am thinking that the cost would be much more that paying all the fees and fixs. I am waiting for my sebring parts from the US and then I am going to that city to check the camaro. I will post pics when in there!!!!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

You can't go over 90 kmh? Ever? That's like, what, 55 mph? I'd spend a lot of time in jail then...lol

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah I would have been in jail a long time ago. But I understand their reasoning for the law, safety and fuel mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me judge this. buying Is this worth it.....??