Having a hard time understanding this

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 AM
4th Gear Member

no offense but when I hear large tax return I don't think of enouhg to get a CAI

Anyway, it's sixer and you can only gain so much % increase from bolt ons. Smaller displacement, normally apsirated engines get less benefits (I'm not saying no benefit) from increased flow compared to the larger counterparts. As for exhaust, try a free flowing muffler first and for CAi, go to EBAY. THink about it, you could spend hundreds for a name brand and maybe get 1 HP more (it's a six). Again, this is not hating on the six, it's just fact. If you go with name brand over Ebay and do get that 1, maybe 2 more HP, do you think you would feel it?

i'd look toward appearance mods like a hood but for appearance purposes, not trying to get crazy HP increases because you won't. If you want performance, then for the price of a hood, getting it painted, a CAI and exhaust, you could spray it with a 50 shot and refill the bottle several times.

In business we call it "cost-benefit analysis"

Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
no offense but when I hear large tax return I don't think of enouhg to get a CAI

Anyway, it's sixer and you can only gain so much % increase from bolt ons. Smaller displacement, normally apsirated engines get less benefits (I'm not saying no benefit) from increased flow compared to the larger counterparts. As for exhaust, try a free flowing muffler first and for CAi, go to EBAY. THink about it, you could spend hundreds for a name brand and maybe get 1 HP more (it's a six). Again, this is not hating on the six, it's just fact. If you go with name brand over Ebay and do get that 1, maybe 2 more HP, do you think you would feel it?

i'd look toward appearance mods like a hood but for appearance purposes, not trying to get crazy HP increases because you won't. If you want performance, then for the price of a hood, getting it painted, a CAI and exhaust, you could spray it with a 50 shot and refill the bottle several times.

In business we call it "cost-benefit analysis"

I didn't say large tax return...I said a decent one. I'm not using this tax return for the CAI, I'm getting other things for her first. I didn't plan on getting a CAI until later this year, but I like to start thinking ahead of what I'll need and how much I might be spending on this stuff, in case things turn around and I get some spare money to buy it early. I'm looking to gain some hp and free her up a little, not have the fastest sixer on the east coast. Everytime someone asks about adding hp or modding, everyone points them in the direction of bolt-ons first (exhaust, headers, CAI, etc). My exhaust (muffler/tail pipes) is being gifted to me, so I don't even have to pay for that part of it. The headers are next. My hood already is appearance only, it has a non-functional scoop. I already have some appearance mods, but I'd like to match her good looks with some extra horses thrown in there. I want performance, but I don't expect what I want from this car. That's being saved for my future LS9z build in a few years...

Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

true dual exhaust?? or dual exhaust tips?? if dual tips..you could get a complete catback exhaust system that is designed for the Z28's, have you checked these 2 forums for info..
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/
http://forum.camarov6.com/index.php

Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't know where this dual exhaust stuff started coming from...I said NOTHING about true duals. I'm getting a Magnaflow muffler with dual outlets for 2 tail pipes....I already have the exhaust part covered in what I'm getting...I don't know where this is coming from. My original questions were about the ram air hood and CAI...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

post 5 thru 8 talked about exhaust, so guess thats where ppl got it.

As for Cai or ram air hood, depends on how much money u want to spend.

Cai would be the cheaper route an probably give same results as the ram air. small gains in HP.