Hard start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:49 PM
Default Hard start

A few days ago driving in a parking lot car died, took several seconds and attempts to start, it did start, however ses light is on now and my tach quit working. After the car restarted ran poorly, was missing, poor performance overall, so after some research and had car on a high end shop obd scanner, and was told fuel trims were all good, so no injector problems, he checked my fuel pressure regulator and said it was bad on top of him thinking opti, so i changed the regulator, and while i had the cold air intake taken off i cleaned the MAF, the air filter, just general clean up, checked all the connections, everything appears to be in good condition...still hard start but car did run better, still missing but only barely, still ses light. So i decided to change the icm and coil, cleaned the hell out of everything made sure grounds were all good, car already has brand new msd wires, and good plugs...still hard start and ses light, the car is running much better, and after it starts, i can turn it off and it will start right up, but only immediately, so really the question is...do you think its this dreaded opti, its fairly new. And its a job that i am not ready for so before i spend the money see what anyone thinks, and the rpm gauge issue i have received pretty vague answers on.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Hey,what are we working on? I guess a '93-'97 Z since you asked about the Opti but they aren't all exactly the same so what year?
If that Opti is anything besides a GM Performance it is suspect,I had a new one from World Products fail in less than 10K miles.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Hey,what are we working on? I guess a '93-'97 Z since you asked about the Opti but they aren't all exactly the same so what year?
If that Opti is anything besides a GM Performance it is suspect,I had a new one from World Products fail in less than 10K miles.
Yeah its a 97 z, and the guy i got it from said it was a cheap one. I am really guessing its the opti, i noticed today in od instead of drive, at low rpms its kinda chugs, my 95 kinda did that as well. The rpm guage died at the same time the ses light came on, and noticed tonight half of the dash lights are out, but temp and oil pressure gauges are working.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Mine acted like that when the alternator was going out,I'd check that before changing the Opti.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to scan for trouble codes and let us know what they are. give a guy an idea where to start.