Getting fed up with this car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Getting fed up with this car...

So I traded my perfectly good running car for this 1995 Camaro thinking I had ultimately won in the deal...turns out I didnt. The green curse has 204,000 miles on it. When I first got it(a week ago) I seviced it and found out that the head gasket was blown. Not too bad I can live with that. Well after I fixed it I realized it didnt necessarily have the power I thought it should. So I began to change the spark plugs and wires and also fuel filter. Still doesnt help and now it starts odd. On initial startup it takes FOREVER! I tried cycling the key and checking fuel pressure and it has almost none. Could this be the fuel pump going out? Another problem wih starting is if I start it after the first time it will start up, then die. I have to go through the starting and dying process about three times usually before it will come to life. So my question to you is:
-Will the faulty fuel pump cause loss of power when trying to open up the throttle?
-Will it cause the car to start up and die?
Thanks, I know i wrote quite a bit but I just wanted to give all the information I had about it.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Droid

Low fuel pressure will cause hard starting and poor running. You need to find out the cause. It could be due to a bad pump or a bad regulator. Considering the miles on the car, it would be a good idea to change both the pump and regulator, and definitely the fuel filter.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Dang, i shoulda kept the Sunfire and did the water pump job on it. Seems like it would have been cheaper now. Thanks for the info. Im gonna try the reg. first to see how it works cause ill have to save up a couple weeks paychecks for the pump

Old 07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should get any used car check by a mechanic before you buy. Not your buddy who "Know cars really well" A mechanic that is trained and works on car 40 hours a week 50 weeks a year. We can spot a none maintained car at 15 feet. If you would have had it checked he would have told you it was a $700 car worth more for it body parts then as a running car.

When buying a used spots car with 200k on it you should stop a think real hard. Do you want a car or a project. Unless the car has a restored drive line (with proof) your most likely going to have to rebuild or replace everything in the next 20,000 miles.

When I looked for a Camaro I could not find one in good shape for under 3K. Everything I looked was junk and while it maybe running and inspected I knew right away not to trust much out of the drive way. That is why I bought a car with a bad motor. If your going to redo everything anyway atlease get the car cheap.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 305_camaro
Dang, i shoulda kept the Sunfire and did the water pump job on it. Seems like it would have been cheaper now. Thanks for the info. Im gonna try the reg. first to see how it works cause ill have to save up a couple weeks paychecks for the pump
Did you see the hatch method for installing a pump? plus Autozone pumps are not great but at a $183 this is a 1 hour or less job.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Did you see the hatch method for installing a pump? plus Autozone pumps are not great but at a $183 this is a 1 hour or less job.
I did see the hatch method and that is the way I'll be doing it...I actually anticipated this to be a project when I talked to the guy about it. I'm going to school to be a legit mechanic and I love working on cars. My Sunfire was nothing to look at when I got it and made it something worth driving so modification and repair is my love. At least this car will keep me occupied and out of trouble

Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm going to try doing a dead head test on the pump to see if its weak...should find out if its the pump or not.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

dead head test eh? Please elaborate because Ive been wondering about my fuel pump kinda curious how to check it

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 AM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by tjsmar
dead head test eh? Please elaborate because Ive been wondering about my fuel pump kinda curious how to check it
Its a test where you pinch off the return line however possible without damaging it and start the vehicle. If pressure isn't at least double what it should be then you know the pump is weak.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 305_camaro
Its a test where you pinch off the return line however possible without damaging it and start the vehicle. If pressure isn't at least double what it should be then you know the pump is weak.
Use the standard fuel pressure/regulator test. Ther two resaons not do the test as you described. The return like is NOT designed to be pinched you will most likey damage it. Second is the Fuel pump needs the fuel flowing, that is its coolant. The combination of increased pressure and no cooling could damage a new pump very quickly.