fun fact of the day

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I wouldn't say it was slow. It was quick...but it's a very disappointing car. It's not a muscle car, it's a sports car. You can't FEEL the power. I couldn't even tell it was running, I kept telling my bf to turn the car on when I was trying to listen to the exhaust...

Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
4th Gear Member

If you ever had to drive a Pinto station wagon with a 4 cylinder, you would be happy to drive a camaro with any motor GM puts in them!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't say it was slow. It was quick...but it's a very disappointing car. It's not a muscle car, it's a sports car. You can't FEEL the power. I couldn't even tell it was running, I kept telling my bf to turn the car on when I was trying to listen to the exhaust..
Well the V6 Camaro was always just considered to a sports car and as for the exhaust note, most cars these days are built to be more quiet.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if the car doesnt throw you back in the seats its not worth it and ive actually owned a pinto with the 4 cyl i sold that as soon as i heard they had a small problem with the gastanks exploding

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
as for the exhaust note, most cars these days are built to be more quiet.
Yeah, they're also full of electronic garbage. Why do they have to have such big engines? Because there's so much extra weight to pull. It's wires and plastic. That's all they are anymore. I've lost all respect for the new 'Camaros' and new cars in general for the most part. But I won't put down someone for wanting to buy one, that's their choice to be stifled by the 50,000 emissions parts. I just would NEVER buy any new Camaro. I love my 3.8 and would never trade it in for anything, especially with all I've put into it so far...and how do you know the *NEW* V6s are better than the old 3.8s? Ever test drive a 3.6? Ever drive a 3.8? If the 3.8 just made it to number one, then obviously the *NEW* 3.6s aren't better.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

so, gm used the same basic design for the worlds most popular, most upgradeable v8 from 55-95. if they hadnt, then the ls1 wouldnt have been made. that engine last only what, 8 or 9 years? thats not very long when put up against their other engines. ive driven the new camaro v6. it sucks. yes, its got 300 hp. does it feel like it? no. it went from 35-80 pretty quick, but it did it almost soundlessly and with no sort of power surge. idk about you, but i like to feel the power kick in and push me into the seat. this left me disappointed. i get more feeling from a toyota solara... however, riding in darling's 3.8, i can feel the power. i can tell when the cam kicks in around 4200 rpm. just watch the video, it easy to see

Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

and for extra emphasis, drive by wire totally sucks. cable or lever, but not a computer controlled motor

Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Haha I knew that someone would jump to this conclusion. I'm just saying that the 3.6 is better than the old 3.8 V6.

There are many advantages that the new 3.6 liter has over the old 3.8 liter. The 3.6 has four valves per cylinder, it has two camshafts, it is made of aluminum, it is equipped with variable valve timing and it generates 312 horsepower naturally aspired.
Better is relative. Technically the Northstar is a "better" motors then the 3800. Time showed us they are junk. You can't give away a Caddy with a Northstar motor. I have seen mint low miles Caddy's for sale for $2500 and they don't sell fast. Is the 3.6 V6 the next Northstar or 15 years from now will we be talking about how great the 3.6 was? No one can answer that.

Don't get me wrong I do not expect the 3800 to return without a redesign if at all but it was a great motor.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
so, gm used the same basic design for the worlds most popular, most upgradeable v8 from 55-95. if they hadnt, then the ls1 wouldnt have been made. that engine last only what, 8 or 9 years? thats not very long when put up against their other engines. ive driven the new camaro v6. it sucks. yes, its got 300 hp. does it feel like it? no. it went from 35-80 pretty quick, but it did it almost soundlessly and with no sort of power surge. idk about you, but i like to feel the power kick in and push me into the seat. this left me disappointed. i get more feeling from a toyota solara... however, riding in darling's 3.8, i can feel the power. i can tell when the cam kicks in around 4200 rpm. just watch the video, it easy to see
I have heard this complaint about the 4th gens also. When the LS1's first came out they where running into the 12's. You could do it with one arm hanging out the window cranking some tunes. A 12 second 69 is an adrenline rush and feels almost out of control.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

The LS1 started the LSX series, and the LS1 is still fast compared to today's car. A new 2010 SS does 0-60 in 4.9; A LS1 F body will do it in 5 flat. The 3.8 is a solid motor, great for daily driving as it has incredible reliability, good gas mileage and enough power to have a bit of fun with.

Quick Reply: fun fact of the day