Found a new car..questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Found a new car..questions..

So went to look at a Camaro today. About 3 hours away, not a short drive. Apparently was one that an older gentleman bought and it sat around for a while. Only 46k miles, 2001, clean, etc. Went to check it out, and well...it wasn't exactly as I was expecting. Is a true SS though.

Essentially, this was the story: Car was some older guys, bought it, put few miles on it, it sat for 5 years or so, just taken out of storage not too long ago. Apparently was keyed along the side when it was newer, and was completely resprayed. Completely stock. Guy I talked to was selling it for the older gentleman. Told me it had an LT1 engine in it as well. The other thing was, this guy had another car sitting in his yard for sale. Guy I went to see it with said he pretty much gave him a similar story on that saying engine blew and he replaced it and it sat..etc..

Go to look at the car. No overspray, paint looks good. Small scratches and such around, few places little scuffed, nothing huge. Tries dry rotted/rotting, need to be replaced (I knew this before hand). Tint peeling off the back window (also knew). Now for the weird parts/questionable parts...

The engine bay looked clean. Like, way too clean. Almost just rolled off the line clean. The interior and trunk were very clean as well, though the back seat did have a good sized hole in it. Windshield looks as if it had been replaced, or at the very least the top molding on it. The front lights looked pretty oxidized (see pics), and were very rough on the outside. Despite being repainted, the hood had some chipping/imperfections close to the latch (see pic). There was some rust inside the door where the hinges are, also the bolts beneath the seat were rust too. When taking up to gas station, the car started squealing...power steering pump. The fluid was topped off, but it started squealing and the wheel was a bit hard to turn. As we ran it a bit more, squealing went down (this is only when turning BTW) and got easier, but still there. One thing I noticed was that there was a bottle of fluid in the trunk too. The car was really dirty except for inside and engine bay, dirt everywhere on it including where the T-tops were. You can see how dirty (imagine at least) from the one pic.

Ran a Carfax, came out clean. Two owners, first put a good amount of miles on it new, current put like 3k a year at most on it. Says it actually checks out to be $80 more than BB value. Asking price is $10,000.

Questions. What should I do, steer clear? Offer him something like $8k then get it taken to a dealer to get checked just to be sure?

Pics:

Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would say 10k is a little high it is low miles but still. Here in washington state you can find nice ss camaros for that price with no problems. He said it's a lt1 in a 01?! Lol

Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The main reason I would say the price is high is because of all the maintenance your going to need to do. I am a technician and believe me one of the worst things you can possible do to a car is let it sit especially for 5 years. If you get it I would plan on doing things like plugs,wires,airfilter, oil change, I would change all the fluids, fuel filter, if a auto trans flush and filter, injector flush, belts and probably some rotted hoses and who knows what else comes up. But if you can get a good deal it might be worth it

Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

If I went to get it, I'd take it to the Chevy dealer close enough to get it checked out, then if it is fine, get whatever needs to be changed changed there possibly.