Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: First time driving a stick/my new SS

Go drive an 8 speed Ford dump truck... Not fun lol

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

in fact, i cant drive autos anymore. whenever something happens my left foot feels for the clutch.
Haha I hear you. Same thing happens to me. I dislike driving auto's actually. My sportbike is a manual too, and it just feels so natural in a car. Like second nature. In the off chance I get to drive an auto I'll be grabbing for the shifter and pushing an imaginary clutch in.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 AM
4th Gear Member

After you get the feel for the stick shift car, I would check out repair shops and the costs of installing a new clucth, Reason, the present one may have a short life span before it starts slipping.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: blackz87

After you get the feel for the stick shift car, I would check out repair shops and the costs of installing a new clucth, Reason, the present one may have a short life span before it starts slipping.
Why do you say that? Because I learned in it?

Also guys - update!

I drove the car by myself yesterday all around town.. I only stalled it on.. guess what.. a hill! I'm getting better though - even with that - I only squeaked the tires the last time I tried going up a hill - no stall!

I'm getting an iPod adapter installed in the car this morning..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

what i did when i learned to drive a stick(in a 95 mustang gt) was sat in my parents driveway and just went up and down it in 1st and reverse until it was smooth. then i decided to take it out on the streets and i was fine. once you learn where the clutch starts to engage, you can actually let the clutch out far enough to where you won't go forward but you won't roll backwards either. i know that's bad for your clutch but its better than rolling back into another car. and oh yeah, if you ever drive in the snow with that thing good luck, lol

Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what the one guy said about using the clutch to slow down instead of the brakes...NEVER DO THAT. Your brakes are made to slow the car down, not the clutch an not the engine from excessive revs.

Backing up is really the same thing as taking off in 1st. Not that big a deal once you figure it out.
As others said knowing where the clutch engages is very important.

My last vehicle was a stick and I drove it until I got my 95 camaro a couple of years ago, it took some getting used to a auto again but I hurt my leg one day and was out int the country so I had to walk up hill and drag a bunch of stuff out of the woods with me so I was glad for the auto then.

My trick for hills is not great for a clutch, but it helped me. I would keep a little pressure on the gas and keep the clutch engages just enough to keep it from moving then when the light turns green give a bit more gass a bit less clutch and off you go.

If youd like to trade the ss for a 95 z28 convert auto, let me know!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Going up a hill tonight.. didn't stall.. just squeaked the tires a tad.. progress!

It's much easier when you let the clutch up to right when it begins to start to latch while you're stopped.. green light..foot off brake, a little gas, off clutch.. and gone!

Quick Reply: First time driving a stick/my new SS