First time driving a stick/my new SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Default First time driving a stick/my new SS

Okay, so tonight I drove a manual transmission vehicle for the first time - just so happened to be my new '98 SS.

I briefly drove a manual transmission bongo truck on my first deployment to Iraq, but I screwed it up so badly that my fellow Airmen wouldn't let me drive it again! (Yes, I am in the Air Force)

Anyway, I stalled the car out about 9-10 times before I could get it to start moving from first gear. After that, it would skip a couple times before it would go forward, but I got it. I wasn't giving it enough gas when I let off the clutch.

I drove around in circles in a new, empty subdivision for about 20 minutes, changing the gears (which is easily, just getting the car to go from motionless to moving is the hard part!) and backing up.. which I still suck at.

Anyway, I drove it for about 20 miles around town, taking it tothe Robins Air Force base carwash and then going to Applebee's with my roommate. By then I was getting pretty decent, actually getting it to take off smooth from the stopping position.

Took it out on the interstate.. haven't even had the car for a day when a mustang pulled up beside me and started revving its engine. David (roommate) looked at me and said, "Jack, take it from 6th gear, put it in 5th, then pull it down to 4th, then step on the gas.." so I did, and well.. the mustang was long behind me and I was going over 100 mph! It honestly scared me!

After the interstate I came to a red light on a 45 degree angle hill.. I was scared. I stalled it out the first time, being scared that I was going to roll back and hit the jeep behind me. The jeep got aggravated and pulled around me, and I tried again. I got it to pop forward about four times (which isn't good) but gave it some more gas and it was fine. I'm just scared to give this car gas because it is so loud! The only car I have ever driven before this was my Sunfire...!!!

I just transitioned form a automatic, white 2004 Pontiac Sunfire to a black, 1998 SS camaro.. and I couldn't be happier.

Other than the slight burning smell I had after stalling it out andskipping a couple gears.. it was good! Just gotta work on reversing.. and the whole being stopped on a hill thing!

Any advice? Feel free to laugh..!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: First time driving a stick/my new SS

I've got an a4 lt1, but it osunds like you actually did pretty good.

From the bit I've picked up here about the m6 ls1's, they aren't the best vehicle to learn to drive in. The six speed can be odd for new manual tranny drivers, and having 350 horses, and all your torque by 2800 rpms (oldbies with ls1's:that's what it is for ls1, right?) can make things difficult.

So yeah, work on those hills! haha.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
4th Gear Member

It's all about your right foot when you go up a hill. That give it the power... your left foot curbs the power so you take off without ****ing yourself over lol. It's just something you get used to =) I've driven a stick many many times... I'm 18 but I've been driving since I was about 12... And I still can't back up that great. Takes more thinking than you want lol.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM

This thing has so much power though.. it scares me. I know I sound stupid saying that, but I've never driven a fast car in my life.

Any advice for the hills/reversing?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Overdrive Member

Hills are just a matter of learing where the clutch engages. Once you get the feel for that you can bring up the RPM's with your right foot and smoothly let out the clutch with your left foot, if you know where the clutch starts to grab it should be smooth. You can also work on what's called "Heel-toeing." To put it simply, you hold the brake with your toe and feather the gas with your heel, that way you can bring up the RPM without rolling backwards.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I love cars with sticks, gives you something to do while driving. I don't use my brakes on a hill stops, just the clutch. It'll take some getting used to, but you'll get it in no time. Just keep on practicing, and nice choice of car too!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Yeah man.. this car is a beast! I absolutely love it already..

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Ninja Administrator

it will eventually get to where u forget ur driving all together. in fact, i cant drive autos anymore. whenever something happens my left foot feels for the clutch. whenever i have to brake hard in an auto u usually hear a "thud" ad my foot stomps nothing.... or it snags the side of the brake pedal and i brake way too hard [&:]. i still dislike hills. usually because some dillhole pulls right up behind me and i dont know how much roll back room ive got. so i just rev up high and do a mini -drag launch.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I suggest you find yourself a hilly parking lot and practice until you get it. That way, you won't back into someone else. Also, don't forget you can "cheat" for the time being and use your emergency brake to hold the car from moving back until the clutch starts to grab. Holding the car on a hill has got to be the hardest part of driving a manual. It's a matter of feathering the pedals, and it'll come to you. Todays manual cars are much easier to drive than the older ones were. You guys don't know "real" clutch driving until you've driven an old-school manual with mechanical linkage and a heavy pressure plate.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

thats somethin i want to do is drive an old 4 speed, i learned to drive manual and 05 c6 vette back in 05 right out the factory ill never forget that

Quick Reply: First time driving a stick/my new SS