Fiberglass hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fiberglass hood?

So, what do the veterans think of fiberglass hoods? I'm looking for an SS hood and came across this listing:

Fiberglass V 2 Bolt on Camaro SS Hood 93 97 Functional | eBay

What do you think? Should I make the commitment, or move on and keep searching? I want a good hood, and this guy has a good feedback score, but I don't really know that much about fiberglass vs. oem. Also, I've always wanted an SS hood, but I'm not paying ~$800 for one. No way

Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out andysautosport.com, theres tons of stuff on there.

As far as fiberglass goes, I havent had any issues with mine so far.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMamba
Check out andysautosport.com, theres tons of stuff on there.

As far as fiberglass goes, I havent had any issues with mine so far.
anysautosports is a middle man.. Find them cheaper else where.

As for the fiberglass hoods, nothing wrong with them. You can go metal, but they dent pretty easy. My 88 c1500 as had a cowl fiber hood for over 10+ years, and no problems what so ever.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I've always wanted one. Save weight, allow better distribution of said weight, the that ones gonna allow fresh air in the engine bay, and sure looks cool

Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I had a glass cowl hood on my old 94, and this one looks pretty well made as mine was. Part of the quality of a hood is how the finish and the underside looks, the other part is how well it fits. Remember you have to treat a glass hood differently. Where you may do "the slam", or "throw down" with a metal hood, here you lower it and gently push it closed to latch. Being rough with a glass hood will make it show stress cracks in the paint sooner or later.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I had a glass cowl hood on my old 94, and this one looks pretty well made as mine was. Part of the quality of a hood is how the finish and the underside looks, the other part is how well it fits. Remember you have to treat a glass hood differently. Where you may do "the slam", or "throw down" with a metal hood, here you lower it and gently push it closed to latch. Being rough with a glass hood will make it show stress cracks in the paint sooner or later.
I have slammed my c1500 hood since i owned the truck, I can confirm what Camaro as said. I have stress crack in both corners of the hood(where it bolts to the truck). I may take a pic tomorrow and show the effects of slamming the hood repentantly. There not really noticeable since my clear as all about come off the truck. So i don't really care, but if you have a nice paint job be easy with it.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Hood looks to be like OE SS hood, looks like mine anyway.
Try www.feathercarbon.com out of Suffolk, VA.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

Thats a great price...I may just buy it myself....

your eyes on craigslist as well, sometimes they pop up on there.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

As long as the brand is good, you should have no issues.

One thing you do need to do is look at getting new hood struts. The stock ones are much too strong for a fiberglass hood and will put a lot of stress on it, especially when going to close the hood. You can take one strut off and run like that, one strut gives the perfect resistance.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Try it as is and see what you get. I didn't change my struts, and it wasn't hard to lower nor did it stress the hood. If the hood is well made (inner and outer layer like this one) it has some good structural rigidity. A cheapo single layer hood, yes absolutely change out the struts.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass hood?