Few electronic questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Default Few electronic questions

Okay first question is how do i replace the power lock switch in the drivers side door panel? Do i need to remove the entire panel, or can just a little section pop out? What all needs to come off before i can put the new switch in? Second off I am having trouble with the stock radio in my car. Everything works great, speakers sound awesome, but when i go to change the station or volume by using the two little ***** it sounds extremely staticy. But when I take my hand off of the ***** it goes back to sounding normal. I am able to use the seek or the preset buttons and turn the station just fine without the sound. Wondering if there is a short? Or a grounding issue? My last question is about the radio as well. When i hit the brakes it makes a little clicking noise, or popping noise through the speakers. I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this noise. It happens as I am pressing the brakes down and as I release them. Its a very short noise, not loud (just as loud as the radio volume) and goes back to normal as soon as i let off the brakes again. Wondering if all these problems are somehow inter-related. Would the problems be fixed by installing an aftermarket head unit? Is it some kind of short within the original head unit itself? Hope someone out there has an answer to these questions! Thanks alot!

Chris

Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Well that's certainly a funky situation you have going on there. My question first off is your system amplified? Is it a Bose/Monsoon system? Reason I'm asking is because sometimes factory amps can cause weird things to happen when they're going bad. Popping noises, even static at times. Now I'm not saying that it's definite that it's the amp, but it just adds to the suspect list.

If it's NOT amplified, it could just be the radio it's self. I've seen a lot of weird things happen with cars & their stock radio going bad. Random flickering/buzzing, all sorts of things. And replacing the radio sometimes fixes the issue. I was going to say you could have an antenna issue, because a radio stations quality reflecting on you touching it or not is usually a sign of an antenna issue.

And a bad ground can cause weird things to happen too, symptoms can be different from others, but you won't know till you take it out and look. The best thing to do is to take it to a professional. Get a second opinion from someone who can hear it and experience the issue as well.

EDIT: Thought I read "door lock" instead of "Switch"

That switch panel just pops off. You can unplug it easily and replace it. Be careful though, it's plastic, and we all know how plastic likes to snap.

Last edited by Spatfieya; 02-21-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 AM

I'm not too sure if the system is amplified. Its the stock bose system for a 95' z28. How would I be able to find out if it was? Well if it is the radio it isn't that big of a deal then because I was planning on getting an aftermarket head unit anyways. (With an HUmount of course) Yeah my dad and I have a couple theories but nothing definite.. I guess taking it somewhere and having them experience it would be the best thing to do.

And awesome, was hoping the entire door panel didnt have to come off to get to the switch! Should be extremely simple to pop that off and replace it. Thanks for the response! Hopefully we get it figured out soon, the speakers have great sound for being 17 years old!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cspear93
I'm not too sure if the system is amplified. Its the stock bose system for a 95' z28. How would I be able to find out if it was? Well if it is the radio it isn't that big of a deal then because I was planning on getting an aftermarket head unit anyways. (With an HUmount of course) Yeah my dad and I have a couple theories but nothing definite.. I guess taking it somewhere and having them experience it would be the best thing to do.

And awesome, was hoping the entire door panel didnt have to come off to get to the switch! Should be extremely simple to pop that off and replace it. Thanks for the response! Hopefully we get it figured out soon, the speakers have great sound for being 17 years old!
Your welcome bud. Since you have bose, it's amplified. Enable to put in an after market you will have to get an ISVE61 amp integration module. Some grounds are shared going to the Bose amp, so this will make it possible for the after market to work.

Like I said, if it's a good running system, then I'd just replace the radio. It's old anyways. If that still doesn't work, bypass the amp. But you shouldn't have an issue. My '96 bose amp runs fine. Also note that your speakers in the front have amps built onto them. Not sure about the back, haven't taken them out yet.

If you have any other car audio questions you can PM me.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

see if this helps on the window switch panel, look at figure 6. there are a couple of clips that hold it in place. they can be a pain.

Name:  P2190005.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  93.4 KB

Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

some info on radio wiring. from 93 book. could be some of the issue is in the rap. looks like a place where lights and stereo are connected

Name:  P1130001.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  P1130002.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  P1130004.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  P1130003.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  87.5 KB