Fans not working????

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Default Fans not working????

I hace a 2000 Chevy Camaro, V6. The AC only cools when the cars is moving and had wind blowing over the engiene and it also overheats when sitting still and doesnt have air over it. what are possible problems and how to fix them. If possoble the parts and steps in fixing the problem. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check fuses first. then check relays. i dont have any info on the newer 4th gens so im limited on knowage. older styles run off the temp sensor.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear member

My fans weren't working when I first got my '94Z. Check the fuses and relays, after that you need to check the fan motors.

You can get a simple tool to check the fuses and such. Just pins it to them and a light will light up if there is continuity between terminals in the relays, basically looks like a screwdriver.

To check the fan motors you'll need a set of cables to rig up to the battery and the fan motors to give them power directly. Attach the leads appropriately to the motor first then the battery. If they don't operate then you know your fan motors are out.

I would also suggest buying a Haynes Repair Manual, very handy book!

Also found this thread using the "search" function on the forum, also a handy tool!
https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...ne-fans-54192/
-that may also help you.

Last edited by JGuy07; 09-10-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Any updates on your problem?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by JGuy07
My fans weren't working when I first got my '94Z. Check the fuses and relays, after that you need to check the fan motors.

You can get a simple tool to check the fuses and such. Just pins it to them and a light will light up if there is continuity between terminals in the relays, basically looks like a screwdriver.

To check the fan motors you'll need a set of cables to rig up to the battery and the fan motors to give them power directly. Attach the leads appropriately to the motor first then the battery. If they don't operate then you know your fan motors are out.

Also found this thread using the "search" function on the forum, also a handy tool!
-that may also help you.
Thank you. will try all that. appreciate it alot

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JGuy07

-that may also help you.

Thanks. In the fuse box under the hood there is a three different spots for three different fan relays....Fan #1, Fan #2 and Fan #3. There is only a relay in the one marked Fan #1. is this accurate? If not then how many fan relays are there supposed to be?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear member

No, all three positions need a relay in them. Pretty sure they are the same model relays too. So first obviously you need to place two relays in the open slots and see if your system works then. If not, then go ahead and check the old relay by probing the terminals correctly for continuity and then test the sockets. If that fuse is good and the sockets as well, then I would assume you motors are out.