even more bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default even more bad luck

so i got the camaro back together and finally got it to start. Problem is that i get p1200 code with the engine light flashing and a noticable shake in the car. It idles where it should but shakes like a v8 ( i have a 3.8) also there is smoke or steam coming from the top of the engine. Not sure where. I dont see where it could come from. There is no smell to it and i think it might just be the old coolant burning off or the paint from the valve covers. I have no idea where it could be from. I used to get misfire on cylinder 1 code p0301 but it went away. ANY IDEAS im sure out of em.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hm, I don't remember what exactly you did to the engine, rebuild it? If you did, the smoke is normal for a first start up. If it continues to do that...then there's probably a problem. Old fluid burning off shouldn't be super visible. It would smell more than you could see it burning. The paint shouldn't burn either, especially on the valve covers. My whole engine and valve covers and all the pulleys were painted and the only thing I ever smelled was the paint on the headers cooking, for obvious reasons. That P1200 is for Injector control circuit? So maybe go back through and check you lines, check the injectors, and everything around that to make sure nothing is missing or put back together incorrectly and nothing is leaking. It also might be because of a misfire somewhere else other than cylinder 1 now.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

it starts to smoke after about 2 minutes of being on, i just changed the headgasket. I know i have an exhaust leak but doubt it would cause this

Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Overdrive Member

if you painted anything at all it will cook off after a few minutes of running as the engine gets hot. There will be some cook off on the exposed parts of the gaskets as well. This is normal and should go away after a few. Make sure that everything got plugged back in correctly and that you also didnt pinch any wires. Make sure all the plugs were in the right order. sounds like you may have some of the wires crossed. dont follow the numbers on the coils since any coil can end up in any location.

Massey

Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

the firing order is correct, i double checked and referenced different guides. Good to know that the smoke is normal, ima take it for a drive and see how it does.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Member

ohm out the injectors to see if one is bad. I would think that if you have one or more bad or not spraying, it would cause the car to shake something like a miss. Ours smoked for several minutes when we first fired it up, enough to make me think I had a plug wire touching the manifold. I also put antiseize on the lower manifold bolts that smoked for a long time when it got warm. Not sure if that stuff will keep those bolts from seizing or not. LOL. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i just got done today pulling the motor on a 04 ford taurus to replace the TQ conv after i got it all put back together it smoked like a hippy at woodstock but after about 20 min or so it went away

Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok well i drove it for a like 30 secs after finding out that one of the injectors was not plugged in all the way D'OH! now it GREAT better than i remember. Beats the hell out of driving a corolla. Still smoked i'm gonna let it smoke a lil more tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

no more smoke drives like a dream. I just found it odd that other headgasket jobs ive done never smoked

Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Overdrive Member

new paint or oil on things that oil does not need be on will always cause smoke. Glad you got it was something simple like a plug.

Massey

Quick Reply: even more bad luck