Electrical problem?? Ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Question Electrical problem?? Ignition?

Hi all, question for anyone...I am having problems with my Camaro, obviously. I got an aftermarket stereo put in in place of the factory monsoon system. The installer put in 2 new speakers, the aftermarket radio, and all new wiring in the car.

About 6 months after that the radio would randomly turn off while I was listening to a CD. The radio would turn off just as if someone unplugged it. Then it started shutting off when I had my iPod plugged into the AUX port. Finally it started shutting off while the radio itself was on. I noticed the issue only occurs when the bass is hits and when the volume is over 17. I went to the place that installed everything and they tested the wires and everything was good.

I found out that Best Buy (which is where I bought the aftermarket radio) sells refurbished goods. The guy said the head unit itself was bad and I should take it up with best buy. On the drive home from the car audio store the radio kicked off like normal however when it did my windows would not go up or down. I kept trying until i figured, ill wait until i get home to mess with this, and i did. On the way home the radio turned back on though, again like it usually did, and when it did i got the windows up just in case it happened again. When the radio didnt kick off again i got curious so i tried turning up the volume and the bass to get it to kick off...and it wont kick off now.

My concern is the windows not working when the radio was off. I have never had that issue before. When I called GM the mechanic said the installers could have tripped an anti-theft wire...but the consequences of that would have been observable right after installation, not 6 months later. This all happened today so i have not been able to get any other opinions but the guy at the store told me the Ignition Accessory wires would be shorting out. My questions are as follows:

1. Are the windows malfunctioning related to the radio?

2. Has anyone ever ran into an issue like this before?

3. What would it cost to fix or how would i fix it?

Any feedback is good feedback, I'm no mechanic so anything helps.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Droid

If the new radio is powered by the same source as the original factory radio, then power is provided by either the RAP module, or the BCM module, depending on model year. These modules also provide power to the windows and other acessories, so it is possible that they may be the source of your problem.