EGR solenoid malfunction-Quad driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Default EGR solenoid malfunction-Quad driver?

Been getting the "SES" light on my 94 for a couple of years.Runs fine,just annoying.

Getting trouble codes #75,76,& 77 saying all 3 EGR solenoids are bad. I installed a new EGR valve when it first started but still comes on every time I drive it.Usually as I let off the pedal to come to a stop.

Also got soft codes saying:

Quad driver 1--bad

Quad driver 2--bad

Quad driver 3--ok

Quad driver 4--bad

Don't have a clue what this is. Like I said, it runs great.I'd just light to stop the light.

Don't wanna just pull the bulb!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so this is a v6?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it has to be. anyways it sounds like u have a bad ground or bad wire connection at the ecm.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

All driven devices run from quad drivers. So a thottle position sensor is input into the computer the Idle Air control motor requires more power then a ECU can out put so it is driven by a quad driver. Its like a relay but it in your computer. If there was a shorted wire it could cause a quad driver fault.

If your computer has failed you really want to be sure you do not have shorted wire. I have seen mechanics go thru three or fouth computers till they realized it was a wiring issue. The short killed the new computer instantly.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM

It's the V6 car. I'm wondering if quad drivers 1,2, & 4 actually tell the EGR solenoids to open. If there is something at the EGR (clogged passages,etc) that's not working correctly and causing the quad driver fault code to appear.Like a said, the car runs like a champ.I'll erase the codes and they return after a couple days and always after letting off the gas pedal from a fast take off.I'm going to pull the EGR and check the passages this weekend. From my research it appears that a lot of people have replaced the ECM only to have the problem return or damage the new ECM.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Droid

Even though your scan tool talks about 4 drivers, your car is set up with 3. As already mentioned the drivers are heavy duty relays, actually solenoids. The PCM operates the solenoids by applying ground to each individual solenoid as needed. Each solenoid operates a valve in the EGR assembly. Depending on how much EGR is called the valves are opened or closed. There are 4 wires on the EGR connector, 3 going to the PCM, and one going to fuse #6 (under hood) for power. The connector pins are labeled A,B,C,D. A,B,C go to the PCM. D goes to power. (A=BLU, B=RED, C=BRN, D=BRN).

Since you already replaced the EGR. Check fuse #6 first, IF OK then take a good look at the connector, IF connector is OK then check the EGR passages on the engine and make sure they are not clogged up. Then check the PCM connector B (BLACK) pins 11, 12, 13

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey All,

I've been having the EXACT same problem. I usually get EGR codes after I cancel cruise control with the brake. I've cleaned, replaced, and cleaned again my valve. I'll be checking everything suggested above, but any additional info from anyone who has had this problem in the past is greatly appreciated.

Also, oldfrt48- Can you get your PCM to go into field service mode? Mine will not, nor will it blink codes. I have to use a scan tool on it.

Originally Posted by oldfrt48
Been getting the "SES" light on my 94 for a couple of years.Runs fine,just annoying.

Getting trouble codes #75,76,& 77 saying all 3 EGR solenoids are bad. I installed a new EGR valve when it first started but still comes on every time I drive it.Usually as I let off the pedal to come to a stop.

Also got soft codes saying:

Quad driver 1--bad

Quad driver 2--bad

Quad driver 3--ok

Quad driver 4--bad

Don't have a clue what this is. Like I said, it runs great.I'd just light to stop the light.

Don't wanna just pull the bulb!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 AM

Working on this, I'll update when I find anything.