Dropping the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you get the bolt off the tube? if not you may have to take the starter lose and move it so you can get up to it. once you get the bolt out then its a matter of pulling and turning from side to side and it should slowly come out. be carfull cause once it gets to a certain point it goes easy. its not much easier to get back in either.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by elyk10
Haha, I was joking about the slipping part It was intentional. Got the top 2 bolts after an hour, going to finish up hopefully tommorow. Still can't figure out how to get the dipstick tube off.
I ask that you be 100% honest right now. I'll be dropping the torque arm on the 95Z this weekend because junior is complaining about the squeak from the bushing. We spray it with silicon and it quiets down for a few days and then comes back. He bought a new bushing.

The question is; If your torque arm is still in one piece do you need me to snap photos of the procedure?

The nice thing about the 95 is that its torque arm is not anywhere as gunky/greasy/disgusting as on my 89 ( frikkin leaky pinion seals) so I'll actually be able to hold it without it slipping and gettng all that disgusting......................ok ok, you get the picture

Last edited by torque_is_good; 11-04-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Good luck with your tranny. I needed the front seal replaced in mine a while back and after 3 days, having to replace the pump, and reverse only working when car is cold later me and my friend replaced the seal. lol. Word of advice, if you replace the front seal, do it gently and not just tear the old seal out, or you'll break something behind it and the torque converter wont lock in place and have to buy a new pump like I did. lol. But good luck. Dropping a tranny can be complicated if you don't know what you're doing

Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I ask that you be 100% honest right now. I'll be dropping the torque arm on the 95Z this weekend because junior is complaining about the squeak from the bushing. We spray it with silicon and it quiets down for a few days and then comes back. He bought a new bushing.

The question is; If your torque arm is still in one piece do you need me to snap photos of the procedure?

The nice thing about the 95 is that its torque arm is not anywhere as gunky/greasy/disgusting as on my 89 ( frikkin leaky pinion seals) so I'll actually be able to hold it without it slipping and gettng all that disgusting......................ok ok, you get the picture
No it's in half unfortunately, I got mad at it. Thus why i'm a terrible mechanic. I haven't been able to work on it all week, but hopefully I'll be able to get it out and in this weekend. As for the torque arm, I'm getting a Eddlebrock one from Summit. You don't have to take pics necessarily, but a small write up would be helpful for installation if you think I need it.

Thanks everyone again for all the input. And yes, it's difficult when you don't know what you're doing

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heres what i have for my 93. with a 4l60e you would have a plugin instead of a tv cable and may not have the gears for the speedo in the trany tailshaft.
Name:  PB050010.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  70.0 KBName:  PB050011.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  PB050012.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  61.1 KB
Name:  PB050013.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  54.1 KBName:  PB050014.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  60.3 KBName:  PB050016.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  46.0 KB

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks craby.

I got it out today, But destroyed the oil cooler lines in the process. I wasn't thinking and just started loosening the lines without holding the nut, or whatever its called. So in the moment i said **** it and just did it till they twisted and broke.

I'm definitely not made out to be a mechanic heh

Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And since threads with no pictures are no fun, I snapped some pictures for you all. Please excuse me for the messy garage!

And don't make fun of my brake and gas lines thats the next project.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,,, new trany and tc. cool.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well it's good to know that I'm not the only one that took a few days to drop the tranny. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha thank you.

So I finally has free time after a busy schedule I got the trans in yesterday with no hastle and had the torque arm come in today. Just got back from driving her around town! She feels great! First time i started it up, the wheels weren't turning at all. The manual said the capacity was 5 pints and that's what i put in thinking I thought they held a lot more. Ended up looking it up on the internet and that's just what comes out when you drop the pan. Backed right out when I added more fluid.

Thanks everyone for your help again, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Dropping the transmission