Dropping the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Dropping the transmission

Hey, I plan on replacing my automatic transmission this weekend on my 95z. I don't have much experience more than the usual maintenance work. Any advice for doing it in a garage? My one fear is not having enough room on my wimpy jackstands. Also, anything I need to get other than an extra jack, swivel socket set and some extra extentions? I'm pretty confident on what i need to do, i've done my reading. Any tips or helpful advice?

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you know how to be sure the converter is fully seated? Biggest mistake I see with first timers. It will wipe out the new tranny if you get it wrong.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I supposed so, I hear it should move twice back into the trans? And should be able to rotate once mounted to the engine?

Too much info can't hurt guys, give me all you have

Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 PM
4th Gear Member

I can tell you this, it's heavy.

You do plan on replacing the rear main seal of the engine while the tranny is out don't you?

Do you have the stock exhaust or long tube headers? With long tubes and off road Y pipe I didn't need to disconnect any of the exhaust.

Now is also a good time for a couple of new u joints and replacing the pinion seal since you'll have everything disconnected.

good luck doing it from jack stands.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks everyone. Yeah, stock manifold and whatnot. Yeah I already have a rear main seal. You're right, might as well do the u joints and such.

Also, I have another question for the future since you mentioned it. My entire stock exhaust is damn rusty except for the stock cat back since it was replaced before i bought it. Would long tubes and a y pipe replace everything? Or is there more exhaust piping thats not included with the y pipe? And a freind told me he ate his o2 sensors with no cats, does that usual happen? or are they usuallly taken out and are there any cons when doing that? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by elyk10
Thanks everyone. Yeah, stock manifold and whatnot. Yeah I already have a rear main seal. You're right, might as well do the u joints and such.

Also, I have another question for the future since you mentioned it. My entire stock exhaust is damn rusty except for the stock cat back since it was replaced before i bought it. Would long tubes and a y pipe replace everything? Or is there more exhaust piping thats not included with the y pipe? And a freind told me he ate his o2 sensors with no cats, does that usual happen? or are they usuallly taken out and are there any cons when doing that? Thanks.

Do you have the funds? Seriously, if you are dropping the tranny then there is no better time to do long tubes. if you don't need a cat in your state then get the off road long tubes and an off road y. Aftermarket cat backs are 3 inch diamter as are the off road y pipes. You could always get a reducer if you run out of funds and can't replace the cat back.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 10-31-2010, 12:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Gorn that gave me the confidence to decide to do it.

Anyways, I went to start today. I drained the fluid, and went to pull the drive shaft. Couldn't get to the 2 bolts and realized I couldn't just put the car in neutral now that it had no fluid so i decided to get rid of the torque arm and finish the drive shaft once that was in the way. I unbolted the front 3 bolts and then the back two. Up front I couldnt get any of the bolts out, and could get only one of the bolts in the back. I dont understand how the bolts in the front are supposed to come out, they're long enough for the body of the car to get in the way. Or is the arm just supposed to come out of the bushing?

Any help? I feel like an idiot that I coulnt get very far at all Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well i cant help you out to much with the auto but i can boost your confidence as a novice mechanic you should always be proud of what you can accomplish on a car an knowing that you dont need a mechanic for every little thing that goes wrong in all reality this could take you some time so just be happy your not spending 500$ to get this thing installed

Quick Reply: Dropping the transmission