Drivetrain Vibration While In Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Only while moving. I can rev all the way up to red line with the clutch in while sitting still and there are no vibrations. Only while moving. And only when my RPM's would be high if I were to let out my clutch.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Then I don't see it being the clutch or clutch related, you would hear it all the time. Ok, how about when standing still, with the trans in neutral, and the clutch engaged to get the internals spinning. Then if you pop in the clutch and fiddle with the gears, will it do anything?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:42 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No. Only while moving, does it make any vibrations. Like I said before, it seems to be doing it if the motor were to be at high RPM's if I were to let the clutch out. So 2nd gear vibrates with the clutch in cruising at 35+... 3rd vibrates with the clutch in cruising at 60+... It also vibrates with the clutch out but what bugs me is that it does it with the clutch in too. I was thinking maybe the input shaft is bent?...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Could be the input bearing or even the counter gear shaft bearings. Sure sounds like you have some play in that area.
If it is the input shaft bearing or counter gears you should really feel it in the shifter way more then any place else. I use to tell the differents between a failing input shaft and throwout bearing with the feel of the shifter vs the feel of the clutch pedal. If your feeling it in the seat of you pants then I would look more to the driveshaft issue Camaro69 described. He is right even a small twisting of the motor could change where the motor is resting. If there is not enough clearance it would cause a vibration that could feel about the same on the floor and the shifter.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I just remembered an issue we had walk in once were the transmission bolts had come loose. Caused al kinds of odd vibrations. It was real bad on down shifting. You may want to check the bolts between the Tranny and the bell housing and the bell housing to engine bolts. I guess it all depends how bad the vibration is.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

In the attachment, which part is the input shaft bearing? If you are referring to 33 or 34, those are:

(33) Case Extension Bushing
(34) Case Extension Oil Seal Assembly (Model Dependent)

Attached Thumbnails Drivetrain Vibration While In Gear-4l60-e-transmission-case.jpg  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
In the attachment, which part is the input shaft bearing? If you are referring to 33 or 34, those are:

1) What you're showing in the pic is an automatic, he has a manny tranny (T5)
2) The input shaft is at the front of the trans, you're referencing the output, at the rear.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776

Thats a 4l60E, he has a t5

See circled area. The bearings are the ones with red dashes.
Name:  t5breakdown.png
Views: 177
Size:  70.1 KB

Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks guys. I noticed that you don't feel it as much as you hear it. It sounds like a fan spinning when it's missing a blade. Or like a phone vibrating lol. But I only feel it in the shifter and barely in the floorboard. Mostly in the shifter.
I checked all of the transmission bolts and they're all tight as can be. I'm thinking I have a bad bearing... It seems like there's some play in the input shaft. That's exactly how I would explain how it sounds like.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Thanks guys. I noticed that you don't feel it as much as you hear it. It sounds like a fan spinning when it's missing a blade. Or like a phone vibrating lol. But I only feel it in the shifter and barely in the floorboard. Mostly in the shifter.
I checked all of the transmission bolts and they're all tight as can be. I'm thinking I have a bad bearing... It seems like there's some play in the input shaft. That's exactly how I would explain how it sounds like.
Probably a bad bearing. If there was play it would leak. Does your trans leave any fluid on the ground?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Vibration While In Gear