Door opens with any key

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Door opens with any key

I just found out the my passenger side door opens with any key or even a screwdriver. The key can only get about quarter of the way into the cylinder, but it still turns and unlocks. Thankfully my alarm goes off when the door is opened that way though.

Is there something I can do temporarily to the cylinder to make sure nobody breaks in?

I assume I have to buy a pair of lock cylinders and use a seperate key now?

Thanks all

Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if you dont use that cylinder you can always disconnect it from the locking mechanism.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Could be worse I suppose, most of the time my door wont open no matter what key you put in it

On another note, do you have a nice stereo, and can I have your address

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by djsquare1
Is there something I can do temporarily to the cylinder to make sure nobody breaks in?
I assume I have to buy a pair of lock cylinders and use a seperate key now?
Whatever you do, don't put a sign on the door that says "this lock opens with a screwdriver". So the door will "lock" and can't be opened if someone tries to pull up on the handle. I wonder how many would be amateur thieves try a non matching key or a screwdriver in a lock to see if it will turn? Probably not many to none. It sounds like your tumblers are corroded and frozen in the unlock position. Get some PB Blaster, put the small hose on the nozzle, stick it into the key slot, and soak it down. Let it set for a while, then try to work the key in and out to loosen up the tumblers. Been there, had that, but mine were stuck in the lock position.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. I will try soaking it with PB and see what happens.

I noticed my key wont go in on either of the doors, maybe there is a seperate key the owner never supplied me??? Either that or they are corroded like you mentioned.
If all else fails I will disconnect the cylinder to the lock as I don't use keys unless my battery is dead.
No comment on the stereo and location... lol

Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Even a non-matching key cut, provided it's the door style key, will/should go into your lock, it just won't turn. I think you have some corrosion going on. I've had a couple locks corroded so badly that I had to disassemble the lock and remove all the tumblers to free it up. I don't recommend doing that if you don't know what you're doing.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djsquare1
I noticed my key wont go in on either of the doors, maybe there is a seperate key the owner never supplied me???
Just to make sure since you wrote this, but you do have 2 keys right? A door key and an ignition key? From the sounds of it you only have 1, and the ignition key(the one with the chip in it) definitely shouldnt work on the door.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMamba
Just to make sure since you wrote this, but you do have 2 keys right? A door key and an ignition key? From the sounds of it you only have 1, and the ignition key(the one with the chip in it) definitely shouldnt work on the door.

Yes I only have the ignition key

Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You should have a round head key too, that's for the doors and hatch. It's no wonder why the key doesn't work.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Separate key for ignition and food. One is square and one is round.

Quick Reply: Door opens with any key