dont feel like a part of camaro forum anymore

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was searching around the web. I found that in several states if the car is used in a illegal act (DUI) the insurance company COULD refuse to cover the person that is DUI but on his car. I did not find any cases where a victom was not covered. The idea kinda goes against the reason for requiring insurance. "If you don't screw up you don't pay" I can not imagine a State that requires insuance would allow an insurance company to just walk away. A very large percetage of people do not have full coverage. First time they put a family on TV that lost its only car there would be a huge outcry. I can say that in PA, WV, SC and NC you get DUI's they are covered. Banks would go nuts with the totaled non-paid for cars. I would imagine the Banks would start requiring people to only use companies that did not have that waver. Giving up the ability to insure financed cars would cost way more then what they saved not covering these situation.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

gorn, your absolutly right. There was relativly little damage after the front crossmember where the radiator was, and only a little crease in the underside. The steering was a mile out but all replaced and set up its fine. with the broken body bits off autos car it will be clearer to my 'untrained' eye to see that the hit side has been pushed down and in. Which would be a nightmare to fix. I was just trying to offer auto some comfort about what could be repaired. Hopefully the insurance will sort it all out.

auto, in the UK the insurance does not cover the driver under the influence but should cover the victim, ie you. so you sould get paid out

Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

well still waiting, but in the mean time had a body man look at the car closely, and from what he is saying is that the car can come back, just have to change the radiator support, n everything in front of it will line up again, radiator isnt busted, didnt have a chance to take pics, probably put some close ups this weekend.

does what he says sound right to you guys?

hey maudy thanks for the comfort lol, i feel confident that it can come back easier than what i had thought..

Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

sorry to hear your still waiting dude, but hopefully it will get sorted.

If your radiator didnt beak then most likely olnly the chassis rails bent upto the main crossmember point ( the one that runs from each fender) like i said mine looked a whole lot better after all the bronken crap was stripped off. If the dude knows how to jig cars and he says it will come back then thats awesome

Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In my mind whether the car could be fixed was never in question. The question is money. Did your body men give you an estimated hours or cost? I would be surprised if the repair cost estimate was less then 8K. As a general rule insurance companies will not move forward with a repair if the estimated cost is 80% of the value of the car. The only reason for that is because it is not uncommon to find addition damage once the job starts. The question is what value the insurance company put on your car? I am surprised they have not taken care of this yet. Have you talk to them about it. They normally send out an adjuster pretty quick.

Way back in the day we had an 88 Iroc that hit a tree at 70 miles per hour. I am not kidding when I say the battery was where the glove box was supposed to be. Even the body men laugh at the idea of fixing it. The repair estimate was 23K problem was it was a 35K car only 4 month old. They had to fix it. It was on the frame rack for over a week.

Something to think about: Most crash and dent shops do not do great work. I have known a lot of body men over the years and it is not uncommon for them to take short cuts to meet a quote. Many of us that restore cars do so that they are better then the factory. I have seen cars “finshed” by dealership that had brakets missing and we where unable to get the front end aligned because the frame was still so far out. The only reason I say this is you should think real hard about weather you want the car fixed. If it where my car and I was 100% sure the motor and tranny are good and I did not know a lot about cars I would find a well kept Z28 with a blown motor (you can get them cheap) and use the money the insurance company gave me to pay a wrench to swap the motor/tranny. This is a simple process you may have enough left over you may be able to put a new motor in. Then when your done sell your old car for parts. Spending 7 to8k fixing a body that can be bought for $1500 does not make a lot of sense.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

Gorn, i know what you men about the work quaility, there are many places over here who repair cars that you see and think, im definitly not ever getting in that car. I know mine is right as i did it, and the guy who did the jig is a friend of my father and i worked with him the full day jigging it and he explained me through everything. Once this was done and straight, we measured everything, I replaced everything from my 98 donor car and lined it all up. Most people at shows that I go to read my little file explaining how i wrecked it ( like an idiot) and then rebuilt it, many dont believe its the same car.

Auto, it still depends on the insurance thing, i hope it gets sorted dude

Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What ever happened with this? Was the car a total?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry to hear about your car man i know how i felt when the gu hit mine when i was in a p lot of autozone i wound up paying for mine outta pocket. i was just lucky that i was planning on putting my car in for a ton of body work and paint job. im sure it will work out fine tho, GL

Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

is this a v8? if it buy it back they will probably sell it to you back for no more than $1000, part out the car and bamn you got a huge profit, ls1 and lt1 motors are highly sought after

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear member

BUMP! I wanna know what happened to auto's car!

Quick Reply: dont feel like a part of camaro forum anymore