dont feel like a part of camaro forum anymore

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009 | 06:33 PM
|
3rd Gear Member
Default dont feel like a part of camaro forum anymore

well, long story short, fool on marijuana in an econoline van, ran into me head on when i was at a stop light a few days ago. looked like he was goin bout 35. the z28 is just about dead... took a bite out of the van though his plate was hooked onto what was left of the camaro bumper he ran only to be caught when he hit 4 other cars bout half mile away...

so heres my question, rebuild or partout and move on?
if i rebuld what exactly will i be needing, damage is everything front of radiator

btw im okay.

Old 12-19-2009 | 06:58 PM

What year? It really depends on the damage, do you have pics of it?

And unrelated, but if he ran and hit 4 cars after, I seriously doubt it was just cannabis that he was on.

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:02 PM
|
3rd Gear Member

2000, i`ll try to upload some later

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

If the damage is isolated to only radiator to front rebuild for sure. Did the bastard have insurance or will your under insured motorist cover it??

If that moron does have insurance make them replace everything with OEM parts & make sure of it.

I have had 2 Cummins Diesel Dodge Trucks (02 & 04.5, still have the 02). My wife drove the 04 to work one morning because we had just sold her car & were going new car shopping that weekend & on Friday at the end of the week literally right in front of her Company's parking lot a jackass ran a stop sign going way to fast & T-Boned the passenger side. The wife was okay thank god & the idiots ricer was completely totalled. So, he was obviously at fault & I made his insurance company fix everything with OEM brand new parts only. I got all OEM parts which I inspected prior to any installation work. Oh, best part was I knew the Manager at the body shop personally & the factory 3" exhaust was on back-order for weeks so he tweaked the paperwork a bit & I got a full 5" Stainless turbo back Magnaflow system ($1,200 approx at the time).

Rebuild it if you can!!!

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you do part it out, give me a holler. I need quite a few things.

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:41 PM
|
3rd Gear Member

well he cant cover anything since hes in jail, i believe he has insurance, cops werent so helpful, but i see theres a ins # on his part of the report so im guessing he has insurance. would i be able to choose the shop? also, what would insurance consider totaled?

Old 12-19-2009 | 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by auto
well he cant cover anything since hes in jail, i believe he has insurance, cops werent so helpful, but i see theres a ins # on his part of the report so im guessing he has insurance. would i be able to choose the shop? also, what would insurance consider totaled?
Insurance companies usually want you to get two or three estimates. But if you are more insistent and demand you want to use a certain shop because you know the quality of their work, then they should work with you. If not, yell at them some more, it is your car after all.
An insurance company considers a car totaled if the cost of repairs exceeds around 80% of what the car is worth (undamaged). Some companies may follow a slightly different percentage, but that's a good rule of thumb.

Old 12-19-2009 | 09:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

his insurance can still cover you even if he is in jail. you just have to file with his company

Old 12-20-2009 | 12:20 AM
|
3rd Gear Member

guess i will get in touch with my ins tomorrow and see what they say, i havent got much info bout ins about the guy cept for plates, address, and ins # hope they can work with that.

80% damage of vehicle worth? kelly blue book shows the car around 6k .from what im seeing im looking at 1500 in parts + chassis pull+ labor=???

what about airbag? i heard from someone that if the airbag blows, an ins company would immediately call it totaled. is this true?

Old 12-20-2009 | 12:50 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Generally no, but if the airbag blows, the cost to repack it and rebuild the dash will usually add in enough extra cost to total it.

I just paid $3300 for basically the same repairs to my Cobalt, if that's any indicator.

Quick Reply: dont feel like a part of camaro forum anymore