Did mechanic break my fuel tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So the had to drop the tank again. Apparently there are 2 tubes inside the neck of the tank. One is called a breather tube. When they put the tank together after replacing the feul pump the guy didnt make sure the breather tube was in the right spot. They are putting the tank back in and I should be able to pick it up on Monday.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pullin the gas tank does suck. next time consider doing the hatch mod and save time and bucks.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So, they fixed the breather tube. The guy said that since he had to drop the tank the second time he'd put in another brand new fuel pump. So we went to pick it up yesterday. The car wouldn't start!! I had to leave it again, they had to drop the tank again (3rd time now!) and then find out what was wrong. The pressure hose wasn't connected to the thing right, or something. He said it came from the manufacturer that way so it was the manufacturers fault. Whatever- I don't care. He fixed it, it drives. It's in my garage and not at the shop. Talk about a headache! At least they didnt charge me anything to fix their mistakes. If have been really ticked!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

oh man,,, well your back on the road. thats a good thing. did you ask for pictures? lol. id start wondering if they were takin it for joy rides every night.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Lol! They probably were! Takin chicks out on dates all weekend or something...

Funny thing is - after I paid them 1K and had to have them drop the tank 2 more times he said "well an easy way to do this would have been to cut a hatch in the trunk and we wouldn't have had to drop the tank. It would have been alot quicker and saved some money on labor charges."

I was like- thanks. That information would have been useful to me yesterday! (Said like Adam sandler in the wedding singer when he is talking to Linda after she left him at the alter...) I'm just hoping its fixed right and isn't going to blow up or something.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok guys- I am still battling the repair shop. They have messed something up and I really need advice. After the last "repair" we can still no longer fill the tank normally. It automatically shuts off after every few gallons. Also, we smell gas in the car when we go into reverse. No fuel is leaking onto the ground or anything. And- there is no longer a hiss sound when the gas cap is removed. I really need to know what direction to point these mechanics in. I've taken the car back to them at least 4 times and they can't seem to figure it out. I am very frustrated. I just want my car back the way it was. I'm going to go buy a new gas cap today. Maybe that will help with part of the problem.... I'm going to have to talk to the owner I guess. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would suspect some work done was rookie work. may be an open vent hose that does not like it when brakes are on.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had to do the hatch method and it was very simple and easier than expected.. only problem was getting the floater situated properly. & that only took like 5- 10 min. If you keep having problems with them, buy a cut off wheel and air compressor and do it yourself.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaroforlife
I had to do the hatch method and it was very simple and easier than expected.. only problem was getting the floater situated properly. & that only took like 5- 10 min. If you keep having problems with them, buy a cut off wheel and air compressor and do it yourself.

I guess the problem is that I really don't know where to start troubleshooting. The gas tank still doesn't "hiss" when I unscrew the gas cap. I don't know if there's been a fuel smell anymore (there wasn't the last time I drove it. My husband drives it and he hasn't mentioned it.) and of course there's still the problem filling the tank. It starts a little rougher now. By that I mean it takes a little longer to turn over. Before it started right up, but now you have to hold the key in the start position just a little longer.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

After walking into the garage after my husband came home the other day I decided something was going to be done. My whole garage smelled like someone spilled gas all over the floor. So I went to a different mechanic who armed me with the information I needed (basically- tell them to fix it or someone else will fix it and they can pay for it. If they refuse to pay? Small claims court!). Ok. So I went to the original shop and talked to the manager. Told him the story of everything that has been going on. He said "I will fix your tank no matter what." So. I dropped it off on Monday and we just picked it up. They put in a whole new fuel tank. First thing I did was loosen the gas cap and listen for the "hiss". Check! It hissed! Next was starting the engine. It started immediately with no hesitation! Drove it home, parked in the garage, closed the garage and went to Walmart in my other car. Came home, opened the garage, no gas smell! I still don't know what the problem was, but I believe they damaged the old tank. Either way- it seems to be finally fixed. Now all I have left to check is whether I can fill it at the gas pump like normal. I will do that in a few days.