Did mechanic break my fuel tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Did mechanic break my fuel tank?!

Hey guys. I recently posted about my 97 Camaro, V6, automatic trans. It needed a new fuel pump. So, I took it to a shop that alot of people recommended. Anyway, they replaced the fuel pump on 5/24. So everything has been fine. Until today. My husband went to the gas station and tried to fill it up. It would let him pump in maybe a gallon and the pump handle would click off and it would spew fuel back out of the tank. It was not doing this before. I plan on taking it back to the same shop that replaced the fuel pump. What would you guys do?

Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

my 99 camaro v6 manual trans is doing the same thing. i cant seem to figure it out. no work was done to mine though. if u figure it out please let me know its driving me crazy

Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

if its any help to you i toke my fuel tube/filler nozzel apart today. i noticed that it seems to be pressurized. when i open the flap in the lower part of the fuel tube gas shoots out. i havnt got any further then there. im still unsure what is causing it.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

something is not right. take it back and see what they say. i dont think its the pump, i think when they re installed the tank they did not install the hose right. only thing i can think of.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I would take it back to the shop and let them look at it. It sounds like a loose fitting or clamp to the tank. Chevy put a guard panel on there tanks so a punctured tank is very on likely.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys. I went to the shop today. The guy is going to fix whatever the problem is tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So the shop looked at it and he said he replaced the hose. Picked it up, went to the gas station to fill it up. I got in less than 1/2 a gallon before the pump clicked of and fuel spewed back out of the tank. I don't understand why there was no problem before, and now there is. My 06 Durango did this a few years ago and it turned out to be a check valve gone bad. It's just frustrating. I don't know what to do to fix it and I'm going to have to take it back to the shop, again. Could they have broken something internally when they siphoned out the gas to change the fuel pump?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess I should remember to tell you guys that if you pump the gas in real slow it doesn't kick the pump off and spew fuel everywhere.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

For anyone interested, took the Camaro back to the shop again. They replaced the broken liner that goes around the filler opening when you open the little hatch to get to the gas cap. That didnt fix the problem. The guy said he's going to have to drop the fuel tank again. He is dreading that, I could tell. I called autozone to see if I could get them to give me some ideas about what the problem is. He said it sounds like the guys bent the filler tube when they were putting the tank back on after replacing the feul pump. It they possibly just don't have it in there just right. Depending on what they find, we might be getting a new fuel tank or filler tube. Anyway, I just have to continue to wait and be patient. This shop is doing the right thing by taking care of the problem for me. So I can be patient about it. . And if they can fix it and continue to be fair they have a customer for life. I can't expect a person to be 100% perfect 100% of the time, but I can expect them to be 100% willing to fix it and make it right.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Can you give us an update.

Quick Reply: Did mechanic break my fuel tank?!