dash face gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Default dash face gauge question

bought a 2002 SS that has a white dash face gauge (not sure what exactly to call it) and I was having problems where the needles would light up but you couldn't see any of the numbers on the gauges, they wouldn't light up. Couldn't find anything wrong with any of the wiring so I took it to a mechanic and they pulled it and said someone simply placed the white face over top the stock one and not everything is lining up but the lights are on behind it. Not sure if they pulled it from a different year camaro but the high beams and osme of the lights are in the wrong place on this face. The mechanic didn't want to pull all the needles to pull the face off and told me either take a razor and cut the old face off or pull the needles myself. They said it wasn't sticky or anything on the backside of the white face cover, it was just sitting in there.

Question time, if I pull the needles can they only go back on one way so none of the readings will be screwed up? Or can they be put on incorrectly which would give incorrect readings?

It's going to bea pain to be careful cutting it out so I'm looking for the easiest, but also the correct way, for removing this face cover.

thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: dash face gauge question

The term you are looking for is gauge over lay. It sounds like some one might have picked up a cheap one and throw it on there or maybe didnt line it up right. For the needles there is only one real way they can come on and off so that should not be a issue for you.