Dad trying to talk me out of a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Not bad its a v6 doh. A very reasonable price for a dealer.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Best advice is buy your Camaro, *AND* a good Extended Warranty along with it -- then you'll have some peace of mind. Quality isn't stupendous on 4th Gens, I have had the 3.4L, 3.8L and 5.7L...

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 96 Z with 112xxx miles still running stronger then ever and constantly beating up on our ford counter parts. I get 28 mpg on the highway at 80 which is great for a v8. I also drive it all winter and im in central illinois so it gets pretty rough in January. I wouldent suggest a v6 simply because after a couple months your just gonna want that v8 soo bad.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

good call rfx, most times its not the car but the owner that decides how the car ages.

Originally Posted by RFxCamaro
93-97 are lt1s and come with the 350ci engine. They are very good power plants and can be had for a decent price. If you get one try to get a 95-97 because they come with vented optispark which was a big issue and costly repair on previous models. The 97s come with the new and some say nicer interior. Pre 97s always have cracked dashes so thats something that might alarm you. All in all for the year they where release there really was nothing better. The only alternative is the mustang and we all know how much a fail that is. Ask your dad specifically what is "bad" about a camaro. Most likely he will say something like americans cant assemble a good car. Then go right back and tell him that most imports are assembled in the us like 93-02 corollas, Nissan vans, and pretty much everything mazda. Then tell him that toyota has had the biggest recall in us history. Gm doesn't make the best interiors but what i noticed is that its always greener on the neighbors lawn. My job makes it so i remove alot of car interiors and what ive noticed is that in that era nobody had good interiors.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I cracked the heads on my camaro because the previous owners were, well... ignoramuses when it came to car care. I still love my car though.

Plan on the interior being beat up, and getting a dash pad cover. I'd personally get anything 96' and up due to them have OBDII ports. Make sure to do a carfax report and that the car is in good running condition. Hell even have the owner compression check the engine and have it get inspected at a shop. That way you will know what you're getting into.

And before my Camaro cracked the heads, it was running on the worse conditions you could think of. Tranny fluid = Low and full of crud, Oil = Low and contaminated with water from a blown head, completely block air filter and fuel filter. This car was running in the worst conditions I ever thought it could. But unfortunately, the day I had enough money to do everything, the car has had it. (only had it for a few days). So they're not junk as long as you take care of them

Plus, you can be almost as cool as those dudes on the F-Body hideout Youtube videos.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear member

That looks a lot like mine, minus the RS body kit on mine. $3898 seems kind of high to me though, especially with the mileage. Shop around a bit before you decide on anything.