cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default cooling fan

hi everyone. i'm back with another problem.i have a 95 camaro 3.4. my cooling fan quit working. i've changed the relay and still nothing. after further investigation, i realized i'm getting no power at the plug. i have power in fuse box and have replaced the relay and still no power at the plug. i'm assuming something is wrong between coming out of fuse box to the plug. something in that wire. do you think my assumtion is correct. should i pull the fuse box and track that wire to the plug. what everyone think. thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep get the voltage tester out an track it. if you haven't yet download a factory service manual. brb

Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here to download your year manual. http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Old 05-11-2019, 05:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default coolin fan

well i pulled the fuse box out and tracked the wire as far as i can. wire in great shape. see nothing wrong. don't know how to use volt meter.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get on youtube and do a search for using volt meter. also there is a fuseable link in the fan wiring that could be bad. looks like a lump in the wire. test for power on both sides of lump

Last edited by craby; 05-11-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks, i'll check it out

Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Easter
hi everyone. i'm back with another problem.i have a 95 camaro 3.4. my cooling fan quit working. i've changed the relay and still nothing. after further investigation, i realized i'm getting no power at the plug. i have power in fuse box and have replaced the relay and still no power at the plug. i'm assuming something is wrong between coming out of fuse box to the plug. something in that wire. do you think my assumtion is correct. should i pull the fuse box and track that wire to the plug. what everyone think. thanks in advance.
First off, which "plug" are you referring to having no power at. The connector at the fan motor? If so, you will not have power there unless the fan relay is energized by the PCM. The PCM commands the fan On when ECT sensor shows the engine has reached a specified temp or if the AC is turned on. You've swapped the relay, so now you need to verify if the PCM is commanding the fan to run. When you say you don't know to use a voltmeter, I'm not sure you're going to have the skills to use the attached pages to troubleshoot your problem. Hopefully, the pages will help explain how the system should work and you can use the charts to go step by step through the process of checking the wiring from the PCM, through the relay and on to the fan.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1995 3.4L Cooling Fans.pdf (243.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default coolin fan

thank you for the drawnings. i've been using them. peterpar, i'm saying i have no power at the plug. ok so this is where i'm at,i'm following chart c12 page 2.i'm on step 2. i've located ckt335. but don't know where b+ is or understand how to hook test light. i also read jumping across d1 and d4 should energize the fan. i did that and the fan came on. anyone know where this b+ is and how to hook test light uo. thanks....

Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear member

i'm following chart c12 page 2.i'm on step 2. i've located ckt335. but don't know where b+ is or understand how to hook test light. anyone know where this b+ is and how to hook test light uo.
What the drawing is referring to is hooking the test light to a positive battery polarity source and checking to see if the PCM is sending a ground to D2 of the coil of the fan relay to energize it. Checking between terminals D5 and D2 with a test light while the ignition is "ON"/Engine "OFF" and the AC "ON" should accomplish this test as long as you verified D5 was hot as in step 1 of the chart.

i also read jumping across d1 and d4 should energize the fan. i did that and the fan came on.
This indicates the fan is good and the circuit wiring that provides the power to the fan motor is OK. Your problem seems to be in the control circuit side of the fan relay coil.

Last edited by peterpar; 05-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default coolin fan

you say the circuit side of relay. what should i do next

Quick Reply: cooling fan