Coolant Thermostat Needs Replacing How Long Can I Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear member

it's 260 inside the cabin. the temp gauge goes up to 260, Gorn, and just before that is the red zone. *i just returned from looking at it now.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RockAuto's website kind of looked mickey mouse to me...sorry haha...but uh..

RockAuto's website kind of looked mickey mouse to me...sorry haha...but uh.. and the grids and field looked out of whack.

sent this to an Ebayer.... and saved this as a copy and paste for the future (to other sellers, like maybe even O'reilly's auto parts store), my insured car is in an indoor garage (like Maindrain Pace from "Gone in 60 seconds" 1974) in 70 deg. weather and I will just drive it 3 - 4 x a week till 2 weeks later.
i need to medicate now. bong hits to mellow out and flavor out these bitter prescription necessary anti seziure medss

START:

Hi, I live in California, a smog test state for emissions

My car is a 1993 Camaro v6, 3.4 Liter base.

My temperature gauge inside the cabin goes up to 260 maximum, just a bit before that is the red zone.

Is this compatible with the aforesaid? I need to know since I heard the temperature capacity or emissions is important in buying a T-stat.

and this is usually a $10 item I was told.

Thanks in advance for your help.

END

Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 PM
4th Gear Member

I skip RockAuto for several reasons, none of which I will mention.

Personally, I'd go to the local parts store and have them look it up, most counter guys can get this right.

My $10 guess was just a guess as that's what I remember seeing them at last time I sold one. But I've seen t-stats go for as little as $6 for a SBC to $50 a piece (there are 2) for my Duramax.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

summit shows an acdelco for 5 bucks https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...-size/3-4l-207

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this one looks like its the deluxe model from acdelco 14 bucks from summittt https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...maro/year/1993 10 bucks at rock

Last edited by craby; 06-15-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I skip RockAuto for several reasons, none of which I will mention.

If you have had issues with rock auto I would like to know, I have spent a lot of money with them in the last four years and never had an issue. Well never had an issue with their site and delivers, they do sell some junk you just have to research it. an AC delco parts number is the same no matter where you buy it. Some parts I found cheaper on Amazon but only with free shipping. I bough all my power stop brake stuff there. One of my cabinets is almost covered with their magnets. PM me if need be.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
If you have had issues with rock auto I would like to know, I have spent a lot of money with them in the last four years and never had an issue. Well never had an issue with their site and delivers, they do sell some junk you just have to research it. an AC delco parts number is the same no matter where you buy it. Some parts I found cheaper on Amazon but only with free shipping. I bough all my power stop brake stuff there. One of my cabinets is almost covered with their magnets. PM me if need be.
No it was just maybe their website layout / format looked old fashioned. My computer was maybe slow that day and the rectangular boxes and subsections were slow.

my apologies to RockAuto never purchased from them just based on their cosmetic layout of their website and the speed to search for an autopart, that thru no fault of their own, was not available.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you everyone sooo much...and a special thanks to Craby. who gave me a definitive good source link.

I hope u found this entire post whoever journeys buy it at least informative and entertaining to a small degree

Everyone enjoy your weekend

especially if you are a Father / son / expecting dad for Father's Day / 2017

Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
No it was just maybe their website layout / format looked old fashioned. My computer was maybe slow that day and the rectangular boxes and subsections were slow.

my apologies to RockAuto never purchased from them just based on their cosmetic layout of their website and the speed to search for an autopart, that thru no fault of their own, was not available.
yes never bought anything from the rock is what i call them they dont move couse of there layout is unlike anything i have ever seen, an i have rebuilt my computer so its not me or my computer , could not click on the part i wanted like the 2x or more, i was there ,or they did not have the part many times or the cost was more too ,ebay or local Auto stores have the best parts for me ,$35.00 for spark plug wires for the 99 caddy ebay or $75.00 at Autozone ,save $40.00 an wait 2 days well worth it>? so you got it fixed. the i forgot what the subject was hummm ,oh thats right the theromstat hope its good

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-18-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear member

this is the T-stat i need to buy if i live in Calif. a stringent smog test state. I don't want the wrong t-stat to have a negative bearing on my ability to pass smog here as it can. the shop charges $149 for an hour's labor to replace it. $95 is their hourly repair shop cost. $21.97 is the price for this AC Delco one. On the weird fact that all of them on the same website do the same thing yet are different in prices is explained to me by the Summit Racing chat rep. here copied and pasted: "As far as pricing it is just determined by the manufacturer. They would all do the same thing. The amount you would want to spend is up to you." (this chat rep. further stated that if they can legally ship to California, there should be no problem with it) I said just to make sure, you must have had California customers with a car similar to mine: a 93 Camaro, v-6, 3.4 L., base. Have u had them complain with their inability to pass smog? he said no. he recommend it. Sure it's expensive compared to a 5 dollar t-stat. But price usually--usually--is a good indicator of value. So thanks everyone. I am buying the one from AC Delco the commercials i saw on the tv with Chuck Yeager back in the mid 80s. By the way, it''s crazy that if I ordered it today, June 19, 2017, I'd get it July 3, 2017? 2 weeks? seriously? i sure hope they have expedited shipping. Here's the part number in case u are interested or similarly situated: ADO-131-100 - Thermostats, Mechanical

Click here for more information about ADO-131-100 - Thermostats, Mechanical
+ Add Notes
Engine Coolant Thermostat Kit

Not Yet Reviewed

Part Number: ADO-131-100

Estimated Ship Date: 7/4/2017 (if ordered today)

$21.97

Quick Reply: Coolant Thermostat Needs Replacing How Long Can I Wait?